Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
So glad you found us!! It's fantastic here. You'll love us...
lau.gif
. Mark you calendar for our Chicken picnic on June...think the 12th in Lansing! We had sooo much fun and lots of good food.

Good morning all

Welcome to Cruizer1 and Kovalciks.

KKG, congrats on the new babies. Female welsummere will usually have a clear defined V shape on their heads and dark eyeliner.

MrsChickendad, I don't know where MJ is, I have been assuming that she has been super busy. Hopefully all is alright with her and her family.

Wylie, I hope your son feels better soon.
hugs.gif

Babszoo, prayers that your SIL will be well soon and that they will find out what is the problem. He is not allergic to laytex is he? I saw on a show where a nurse was having trouble with swelling and got really sick and she figured that she was allergic to laytex.

Crystal, good luck with getting your oven fixed, also be careful.

Opa, you are right about location in hunting. Yesterday I had three deer at my birdfeeder,about 8 feet from the porch. If DH had gone out I probably would have seen more deer than he would have. He hasn't gotten one yet.

Good Afternoon!

Long day already! I did get to go out with my husband last night.
ya.gif
Good to see all his racing friends and their spouses. Jack was up and bouncing off the walls yesterday afternoon
smile.png
Kept him home from church this morning though.

We had a guest preacher today. Billy is from Sierra Leon, West Africia. He moved to the USA in the 80's and our church demoniation sent him back to Africia to piece things together after the rebel war. It was a great history and economic lesson and how the church has been planted there. Also interesting to here of all the non christian groups moving in.

Boyd- My SIL is getting 20% less chemo to see if her white blood counts will stabilize. Will know more when she goes back this upcoming Friday if that is helping.

Off to go and meet the neighbors new puppy!

Sarah

Wow! What a beautiful weekend! Hubby and I went out yesterday and picked up some more ducks. A sweet old lady had posted an ad on CL that she was giving them away. Just too much for her to keep up with now. She gave us 3 Pekin drakes, 2 female Pekins, and a male Indian Runner. I'll be taking the 3 Pekin drakes, one of the females, and one of my Cayuga drakes to the processor this Friday.

We stayed outside almost all weekend. It was great! Last night, we moved the grill, picnic table, and patio heater into the barn and had dinner with our Carharts on. LOL! Then we went out and fed and played with the yaks. We had a hay delivery yesterday and rolled a bale down a hill just to see what would happen. It unrolled like carpet, and the yaks have had a ball wallowing in it.

My son and I spent most of the day in the sheep/chicken/duck yard. I was finally able to figure out who is still giving me eggs. It was kind of cool to see which eggs come from who. We went out into the woods and helped my husband cut firewood and haul it up. While we were down there, we saw a runoff from the creek. Much to my son's delight, it was frozen, and he slipped and slid on it forever with our dog.

The weekend was so awesome and energizing that I forgot I was sick. Just came in and sat down, though, and my body's yelling at me. Darn shingles. I wonder how long these things last? It's wierd-I'm having what I think is nerve pain and muscle cramps. Annoying as heck.

Oopsy, I so enjoyed our chat on the phone yesterday! I'm really looking forward to getting together.

Quote:
Yeah!! Look for those dark eye and head markings, those are the girls, the ones that are clearly defined. The boys are a little less defined and don't see as dark, nor do they have as distinct eye markings. You can post pictures or send them to me if you would like. Sam (Opa) helped me figure it out!!

hey all...heard the word was out y'all were wondering where i've been...going, going, going. i can only put so many things on one plate so i am doing just that right now.

between the crack down on losing weight/health management, taking on more responsibilities with some church activities and my daughter just being in driver's ed recently, it just been REALLY crazy. focusing time and energy on what was important and not urgent.

i will be floating around soon! this weather is bound to get 'not so gorgeous' sometime and i'll be inside more and whatnot.

i have a few of you to catch up with and will do that asap. <3 to all and have a blessed day!

We have been working on my coop for a month now and it's 3/4 of the way done! Would have been done sooner if I didn't keep changing my mind. It started as an 8 x 8 shed some guy had partially put together before his landlord found found out and made him stop. I bought the materials and my builder started putting it together. As everyone on BYC says, go as big as you can. I knew it was too small before he was half done. I had him make it 10 x 10 and thought that was good until we hung the nest boxes and I decided it was still too small.
My builder ---->
barnie.gif

We ripped out the nest boxes, tore out the insulation and the back wall and added a 10 x 4 ft. master suite. We put the insulation back in, covered it all with OSB and rehung the nest boxes. Finished the rest of the walls with insulation and OSB and my neighbor came over with his gas powered post hole digger and dug out the holes for the run. Jim (builder) made the cutest cupola for the top of the roof and put that up after we shingled it all. Now I'm looking for a rooster weather vane for it.

While Jim was working inside, I was painting the outside! Yes, two weeks before Christmas in Michigan, I'm painting. I got the front and the east side done and half of the back wall before my hands were frozen and it was too dark to see. It probably won't dry until June. I wanted to get it painted because I didn't want it to sit all winter and spring and soak up moisture. The other reason is because it is very visable from the road and we didn't get a building permit.
idunno.gif
At least with the paint on next to my other shed it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. I hear the new inspector for our township doesn't cut any slack. We're just keeping our fingers crossed that no one has noticed us working on it for the entire month!
fl.gif

We have to insulate the ceiling and finish it and I have to get a piece of linoleum the floor. I bought a ceramic heater with a thermostat that will supposedly keep it above freezing at least. I'm just concerned that we don't have enough ventilation. There is an 18" double hung window on the front wall by the door and a 4 x 2 long window on the east wall that is hinged at the bottom and opens at the top with a chain stopper. There is ventilation under the eaves and in the roof and Jim is making a "screen" door that will stay open during warm weather. It has a heavy guage metal insert with holes about the size of a dime all over it instead of screen. No predator will be able to get through that door! Does that sound llike enough ventilation? If I tell him we need to cut more holes I'm afraid he'll walk off the job!
rant.gif
somad.gif

The run will be 12 x 14 with clear fiberglass covering it. Of course all holes will be covered with hardware cloth and my fencing is 1 x 2 x 72 welded wire. We were going to dig into the ground and bury 2 x 6 treated wood at the bottom, but now the ground is frozen. That will probably have to wait for spring. I painted it a very pretty sage green with white trim and a victorian plum accent color. It looks like a little school house, very cute.

Next summer I'm going to lay patio blocks down to create a little front porch area. It even has a window box under the front window that I'm going to plant 'hens & chicks' in. Can't wait to get my chickens and a rooster. I'm hoping to get Catray's EE roo that she has posted. Hoping she can hold on to him until it's all done!

Please let me know if you see anything we have done wrong or you think might be a problem or need to be changed (especially the ventilation)! You guys sure are a great goup of people and I'm so happy to have stumbled onto this site.

Thanks for any input.

Hi. I am downsizing my flock, only be keeping the ducks and quail. I am wanting to find good homes for my large fowl chickens. I raised these birds from chicks, hatched in May and were purchased from a prominent show breeder in Indiana. It had been a number of years since I had raised large fowl show chickens and decided to try a few. I have 3 Welsummer pullets and White Rock - 1 cockeral, 3 pullets. I would prefer if the Rocks would go to a 4H family as they have all the potential of being good show birds by spring. They are young and have not yet filled out/developed to their fullest potential, excellant type and frame. They were started out on medicated starter and have been fed 20% grower since. The birds are all healthy. If interested please email me [email protected] and mention chickens in the subject line. Only serious inquiries please. I am located in Lenawee County. Thanks and have a good one. Ed

12-7098.jpg

12-7107.jpg

Good morning everyone. Looks like some super cold air is moving in later this week. This was the first weekend I had to deal with frozen water. I am home all day during the week and with a 60watt bulb over the waterer in the big coop and bringing the outside waterers in at night so they go out first thing in the morning thawed and the help of icecream buckets it all worked. Hopefully I can keep it all working all winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom