Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
GREAT!!! There you go....all she needed was a nice warm bath. Awesome news. Thanks for letting us know she's doing better. Woot!

Quote:
I am also just south of GR! The vet office she is referring to off of 28th is expensive but with a little charm you can see if the staff will ask the vet a couple questions for you too.

Sometimes it is just a chicken and then sometimes it is a pet for your kids, or a really special bird that you want to breed. Sometimes it is worth the effort to save the bird.
I have used both the vets mentioned above. The vet in Cedar Springs was more expensive and not as experienced in chickens.
The Animal Clinic at 133 28th Street, Wyoming MI 49508 616-241-3651 (they are just East of 131 fwy on 28th street. Across the street from the Beltline Bar). They have treated us fairly for the past 4 years. Dr. Bennett has the most experience with chickens and he is in on duty Mon-Wed. Dr. Renshaw
is younger and learning. Dr. Bennett is the John Ball Zoo vet. He does work for MacKenzie Animal Sanctuary and Wildlife Rehab. I can guarantee you that he is not in it for the money as you will see by the spartan offices and the vet's down to earth demeanor.
They lanced a bumble foot for me and sent us home with antibiotics.
They diagnosed egg yolk peritonitis, drained the fluid from my hen's abdomen and gave us antibiotics for my children's pet hen. She lived 2 years after that.
I had a hen with a sour crop and they took a sample from her crop with a long q-tip, then gave me nystatin and an antibiotic for the gram negative bacteria that were going to kill the hen. She recovered.
I bring them a stool sample about once a year and they check for worms/parasites. They don't make me bring a hen in. When the fecal has been positive, (3 times), they check one hen for general health and then send me home with medication for everyone.
I've had chickens for 10 years. And that is all the vet work I have had done. I try to stay on top of things and keep the hens properly fenced, dry, clean and well fed. But on the occasions above, I have been very thankful for professional help and I highly recommend this clinic when or if you do need professional veterinary help.

Gee, I wonder why they told me I had to go to K'zoo. I'm 40 minutes NE of GR and that would have obviously been closer.
hmm.png

Thanks for the info, though, just in case it's needed in the future.

M.sue :

Quote:
She may be thinking about going broody, but it won't hurt to move her up to a roost.

At what age do they go broody? She just started laying 2 almost 3 wks. ago and is only 20 wk.old.​

Any age they want. Every chicken is different. I've got a light brahma who has been broody since the day she hatched. Okay, slight exaggeration there, but you get the picture. Some just really, really want to be moms. And they usually make the best ones.

Same to you babigyrl22! It is a lovely Sunday.

Now for business, I went out this morning and my OE Bantam was still sitting in the box....I left her alone to see if she'd get out when I let them in the run. Nope. When I got back from church I went to check. Still sitting, but in a different box on one my Isa Browns egg. I picked her up, placed her out in the run. That only lasted about 2 minutes. Back into the coop and in a box that was open. So how do I break her of this? I have no clue, I'm gonna look up a thread on this & see if I can find anything. No egg from her yet, she's usually a late morning gal.

Good morning all. I've been crazy busy with work and wow am I behind on the board here! Maybe today I can catch up? Had my 20 year class reunion last night and it was a blast! My class was small but we had a great turn out and my hubby was such a trooper, he volunteered to go and for him that was huge cause he can be a bit shy! Everyone made him feel like he belonged! We got home kind of late and completely over slept and missed church and I was suppose to teach Sunday school if we had kids. Since we go to a small church it's typically an every other week thing for kids and this week is the off week, so doubt there would be others, but I still feel stupid for not making it. So selfish on my part! Ugh!!! Hoping I can salvage the day!
May you all have a blessed Sunday!!!

It's a good Sunday, indeed. It was one of those kind-of-like-Christmas mornings here. Woke up to a new litter of pig out of one of the AGH sows. Right on time, she was due today. She's passing afterbirth now so I'll be in and out to check on her periodically but so far so good. All pigs are happily suckling away and mama is in good shape.

We're setting up the new deer stand later and then... maybe... picking up a calf or two.

M.sue :

Same to you babigyrl22! It is a lovely Sunday.

Now for business, I went out this morning and my OE Bantam was still sitting in the box....I left her alone to see if she'd get out when I let them in the run. Nope. When I got back from church I went to check. Still sitting, but in a different box on one my Isa Browns egg. I picked her up, placed her out in the run. That only lasted about 2 minutes. Back into the coop and in a box that was open. So how do I break her of this? I have no clue, I'm gonna look up a thread on this & see if I can find anything. No egg from her yet, she's usually a late morning gal.

Don't worry. Breaking her of it is very easy. Just give her chicks.
lau.gif

@Grandma Chicken, I'll let you know if I find a cheaper place to get fecal checks.

I have officially gone through 100lbs of chicken feed since I got my first chicks in April. I only have 5 chickens and I am shocked at how much they can eat! My older chickens free range all day and I know the wild birds take their share of the feed. I keep rotating the feeder to one of my chicken's favorite hangouts around the yard until the wild birds find it again. I already told my dad that our project for spring is to build a treadle feeder to stop the feeding the whole neighborhood!

Still waiting on my first egg.
sad.png
Two of the older girls combs and wattles came in a couple weeks ago. Everyday I ask them to lay and egg for me but so far they have declined. The waiting is killing me. They are going on 22 weeks now so lay an egg already!

Quote:
That's really not too bad. It's just over 1/10 of a pound of feed per bird per day. Depending on the size and diversity of your free-ranging area that's about par.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom