Micro Farm Coop Worklog [UPDATE: SHINGLES ON - PAGE 27]

Quote:
The floor was just one coat applied with a brush. It went on pretty heavy in order to get into the groves of the OSB. As for if it works the same as vinyl, no, it's much better. Basically it's like the paint on your car and is enamel based. It won't ever peel like vinyl would.

Well I guess I know what I'm putting on my floor!

Thanks for all the great info,
Michelle

Quote:
*chokes on his iced coffee*

Good grief no! It's $25/gal @ Lowes.. I opted for the oil based as it was only a buck more than the latex based and I trusted it to stand up to abuse better.

Since it went on pretty thick to cover the OSB my millage was not as good. Coverage I got was 80 square feet per half gallon. I've still got half a gallon left.. Which is great.. Because I need to paint the outside stairs to the basement.

we painted my dad's garage floor (concrete) with some kinda expensive paint ($100+) well, I helped one of his buddies do it - we used some kinda special detergent/wash on it first which I was concerned that it didnt get rinsed properly, anyway a little more than a year later and its peeling.

I also have never had luck with water based poly urethane. will never use it again. I like oil.

I know I saw a link somewhere for $100+ porch paint.

Lowes has it listed for $60....
(Item # 83071 - Model # 83071)

Where are you finding it for $25?

Marty

Last edited:
Oil is by far the best IMO as well.. It's a shame you can't get oil based house paint anymore.. All the cabinets in the house are done with it, so now to repaint I have to use that annoying primer which needs sanded in order to get a smooth finish.

The garage paint is pricey as crud and normally comes in a two part mix, plus those pretty flakes you toss onto the finish. It SHOULD last a long, long time.. So it may have been that it was not rinsed well.

Far as painting concrete, I like to scrub it down with muratic acid, which creates small pores in it by eating away at the base material within. Then a good scrub with a light detergent, then a really good rinse job and let that dry for a few days.

Quote:
How does it hold up to the elements? We are so wet and rainy here that I think I might use this under the bottom of the coop (since it will be raised up about 2') to try to keep the dampness out. maybe I can extend the life of the OBS and not have it crumble on me so quickly. Would that stuff work for something like this?

Pacs, that is not porch paint. That is STEP paint and is an anti skid type of paint which contains a grit type material to keep steps from being slippy when wet.

Valspar Skid-Not
1-Gallon Latex Skid-Resistant Floor Paint Dark Gray

I did check the price online vs. the local price and WOW.. Seems my local price is $23.98 vs. $61.48 for the same thing... Sorry those who don't get that cheap price.. No clue why my store has it so cheap..
smile.png

Item #: 48220 Model: 48220

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil :

How does it hold up to the elements? We are so wet and rainy here that I think I might use this under the bottom of the coop (since it will be raised up about 2') to try to keep the dampness out. maybe I can extend the life of the OBS and not have it crumble on me so quickly. Would that stuff work for something like this?

Not sure that it's the best option for you as far as that goes. Why not opt for T&G plywood, or pressure treated instead?

At any rate, if the floor is 2' off the ground, you will have little problem with moisture from the bottom as there will be more than sufficient airflow under it to keep the wood dry.. Even with water standing under it, should be fine.

Another option is to just put a wood sealer on it before you set the OSB. I did this with mine since it is much closer to the ground.. Just gave it a nice light coat, flipped it over and screwed it down.​

I used a ben moore paint for my front porch a couple years ago. It has held up great much better than any thing I used before. I had planned to use that for the coop. its oil based and I think it will work best for me. I was still planning to use Vinyl inside to make cleaning easier. Or do you think the porch paint will be as easy to clean?
your thoughts would be helpful. I am starting construction tonight

Back
Top Bottom