Micro Farm Coop Worklog [UPDATE: SHINGLES ON - PAGE 27]

Good good..
smile.png
Eventually I want to do eye hooks up top and tieoffs at the walls so I can adjust it like that.. This was just to get it up so the birds could enjoy it.. Last night when I gathered them up, they were all curled up on the roosts, which is a first. Usually they ignored the temp roosts and curled up in a corner on the floor.

Wish me luck.. Today is the day when I start getting the roof sheeted... Right after I fix the mower deck... Mowing the yard with a 42" deck that only cuts a 21" swatch sucks.

Last edited:
Busted out some serious.. Well.. Kind of.. Work on the coop today.. I wish I'd gotten both sides done, but also had to fix the mower deck, weed one of the flower beds BIG time, prep the blueberry hedge for planting and a pile of other stuff.

At any rate, half the roof has been sheeted. I've got the tarp back over it, though it should not rain any time soon. Just figured I'd keep the tarp from blowing away.
tongue.png

IMG_3045.JPG

Since I was BUSTING my rear lifting the 3/4" sheets of 4x8 OSB up ALL by myself, I nailed in some blocking at the edge of the eaves to catch it and hold it in place until I could nail it.

IMG_3046.JPG

The end is 2x4 instead of 2x6 and will be the only part that gets bargeboards. The lower end will stay just a 2x6 instead of using fascia boards. I chose to do the ends as 2x4 so I could round the bargeboards and give a little more detail.

IMG_3047.JPG

Chickens were happy with me today.. When I moved the huge pile of cardboard to get it laid down so I could prep a row for the blueberry hedge I found TONS of worms.. Happy chickens indeed.

IMG_3048.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good Darkwolf!

did ya see I made someone else laugh with my "run"? They shoulda seen me working on my roosts etc. too. Pick up a screw, drop a screw, lose screw in litter, finally find screw start again, start drill, drop screw. Same with my hammering staples.

Ok.. Here's the shots of the roof... I'll be working on closing up the ends today and hopefully will have the eaves hardware clothed so they can sleep in it over night.

IMG_3055.JPG

I left the ladder kicked up against it to show just HOW I got the sheets of OSB up and how I worked on nailing everything down. Basically I centered the OSB on the ladder and PUSHED it up, laying down against the ladder and taking a step with each push. After it was beyond the ladder it slid down against the rafters and hit 2x4 blocks I nailed at the bottom to keep it on the roof.

Has a heck of alot of work, but the safest way to do it solo, for sure. To do the higher parts I extended the ladder and then pushed up another sheet. Once it was up I extended the ladder all the way to the peak so I could get up top and nail the sheeting down.

I think for when I do the shingles I'm going to invest in a few roof jacks. I'm sure I'll get more use out of them, what, with a greenhouse and garden shed to build.

IMG_3056.JPG

Around the back, I ran out of OSB so I used some plywood I had on hand. It worked just fine, but was a little harder to nail down as it was warped.

IMG_3057.JPG

Oh yeah.. I forgot to post the picture of the chickens sleeping arrangements. Like a cramped apartment, no? They only sleep in it though and Roody wakes me up every morning at 5:30 with a rather pretty crow to take them outside. It works well since chickens by nature sleep piled up close to each other.

IMG_3053.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom