Midge and her chicks

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Love Comes with Feathers
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
California
In April, my Cochin bantam Midge went broody. We separated her from her nest, took away her eggs, and tried pretty much any other method to break her broodiness. But she was stubborn, she was. So, I asked my uncle (who was about to get his first small flock of chickens) if Midge could raise them. After much talking, we decided it was a go.

So last Thursday I bought four little fluffball pullets.

DSC_0022-1.jpg

A RIR, a Delaware, and a Speckled Sussex. The Delaware was eight days old when we got her from the feed store, the other two were only a day old. They still had their little egg teeth.

My uncle, being a sports fanatic, named them after basketball players. Bosch the Delaware, D-Wayde the RIR, and Lebron the Speckled Sussex.

The night that I got them, I tucked them under Midge's wings and breast. She turned around and I thought she was going to peck a chick, but instead she kind of nuzzled Lebron as I put her underneath Midge's wing. However, she pecked me
roll.png

Now Bosch is 2 1/2 weeks old and Wayde and Lebron are 1 1/2 weeks old. So I figured I'd share Midge and her family.

Being a protective momma
DSC_0016-3.jpg

Exploring the pile of wood
DSC_0026-1.jpg

Midge is such a good mother! When I give her treats, she'll grind them up then spit them out so her babies can eat before she does.
DSC_0028-1.jpg

But of course, Midge still remembers to take care of herself too.
DSC_0029-2.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
And I think her chicks are trying to mimic her facial expressions- Bosch was giving me a curious look that reminded me a lot of Midge's "What're you doing?" look
hide.gif

love.gif
LOL! That is so cute! I'm sure that night you put them under her, she was just waiting for those chicks! A dream come true for her, look at that proud mamma!!! LOVE IT!!! Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom