Midget Hybrids

MalHagger95

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2018
Louisiana, USA
Has anyone ever tried pairing a heritage breed with a midget white to produce smaller turkeys with large breed coloration? My daughter would like to add a trio to our little farm. I’m kind of scared to have her around a large Tom, being that she’s only 5 and she’s tiny for her age (little under 3 feet tall and a little over 33 pounds. The bronze tom she saw was almost twice her size!! I’m pretty fond of the bourbon reds and the bronzes, and she likes the blue slates and royal palms.

We have two royal Palm hens. They flock with the chickens are very tender to our ducklings and don't mind our not quite 3 year old. My 10 year old shows one of them at Poultry shows and she behaves well. We love them. And I bet there are plenty of local 4-h or FFA kids as backups.

Has anyone ever tried pairing a heritage breed with a midget white to produce smaller turkeys with large breed coloration? My daughter would like to add a trio to our little farm. I’m kind of scared to have her around a large Tom, being that she’s only 5 and she’s tiny for her age (little under 3 feet tall and a little over 33 pounds. The bronze tom she saw was almost twice her size!! I’m pretty fond of the bourbon reds and the bronzes, and she likes the blue slates and royal palms.
First they are all the same breed which is Turkey. Many have used the Royal Palm bred to Whites to try to re-create the Midget White. Of all the Heritage varieties the Royal palm is the smallest other than the SOP for the Midget White. Blue Slates and Bourbon Reds are on the large size for heritage varieties.

Turkeys are amazing pets, my little sister has a small flock and they are sooo attached to her, they adore her and are very tender with her, even if not always with one another. She spent a lot of time with them as chicks (they bond very strongly), and now at five years old they still follow her around like babies unless they're broody.

(Definitely go for a smaller heritage breed if you can, the health problems associated with bigger birds are heartbreaking!)

I would really like bourbon reds or heritage bronze and she wants a couple blues. We planned on hatching ours. You think she’d be fine if she handled the poults a lot as they grew?
All of the problem turkeys that I have had to deal with were problems because they were imprinted by people when they were new hatchlings. It causes them to lose the ability to understand that there is a difference between them and people.

Those are a nice choices :) Getting them as babies of course is the best idea, hatching them at home is the pinnacle of that, the only "downside" is the potential ratio of boys-to-girls, if behavioral problems arise between them when they're adults it's really hard to have to get rid of them, and hormone injections/implants can be expensive and impractical. Just something to think about... Maybe hatch just one or two at first and go from there? Not saying avoid the boys, I had a male turkey and he was an absolute treasure, but he was also an only child. Another idea would be to arrange for a backup home with someone you know in case you did have to rehome a bird. They bond very strongly, once they're pets, they're pets. I think your daughter is going to love them. And yes, absolutely, the more she spends time with them the better! In fact it's going to be hard not to spend all her time with them, lol. When I talk to people about turkey chicks, I call them the puppies of the bird world :love

All of the problem turkeys that I have had to deal with were problems because they were imprinted by people when they were new hatchlings. It causes them to lose the ability to understand that there is a difference between them and people.
X2 the wild ones I had imprinted on me so fast, it wasn't even funny. They became a terror after they reached adulthood. Bad habits that could not be broken.

Back
Top Bottom