Midget white turkeys? any good sources?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by iajewel, Jan 1, 2012.

1. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Last year I got some Midget Whites form Welps and ended up with white turkeys but not so much on the Midget thing. I got white Hollands, some commercial whites and some nice midget hens but no Toms. I was pretty unhappy.
    I would like to get some more Midgets this spring, but don't even know where to start looking. I don't want eggs. I had some issues with my bators last fall and need to figure out what went wrong before I load them up again.
    Anyone know a good source of day olds? one that won't indiscriminately replace them for other white turkeys?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I am also interested in the Midget whites and am looking for a reputable breeder in my part of the country.

3. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    There is a man near you that sells eggs only. I can't remember his name but Im sure someone here will post it. In Iowa.. other then welps.. Im pretty screwed I think unless there is someone else in Iowa breeding them?

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Thanks iajewel, I hope I can find out who it is, I don't have a bator but I have bantams that love to brood.

5. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Sands Poultry has Midget Whites. You might check his website -- I think he's in N.C.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  6. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    YES! It was Sands that I was thinking of. They only sell eggs, but.. they do have them and they are in NC... yup yup.. that was them. They are not an option for me, I need chicks, but.. ya.. for the other person looking.. yup yup yup.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Thank you PatS I'll look them up.

8. hillbillyfarmer

hillbillyfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Maryland
    SandS has a listing for Midget White eggs on eBAY right now. Sand Hill Preservation Center sells poults. I purchased Beltsville Small White eggs from SandS a couple years ago and had very good hatch rates. They are very healthy birds and I highly recommend SandS for eggs. As far as Sand Hill Preservation Center I have not purchaced from them but plan to do so this year.

9. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I will not do eggs. Eggs are not even an option to consider. If I spend the money for them, I want them live and peeping. To many people have lost allot of money on eggs, I my self hatch out around 2000 a year, not allot compared to some people, but.. enough to know eggs can have problems. So.. I won't do eggs..

I will give Sands a try since they have the poults. Thank you.

10. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    If you ever decide to try hatching eggs, I will have midget whites available in March. I raise two separate lines, both of which are true MW, not a mix of other white breeds. They are not hatchery stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by