MIdnight Majesty Marans- age of lay and egg color?

I’m bummed that I only bought one and it turned out to be a cockerel. He has one feather in one leg. Unfortunately, I can’t keep roosters, so I will have to rehome him. Yours is so pretty. Just curious, what is his crowing frequency and volume? I’m secretly hoping he can fly under the radar and I can keep him. No one ever wants roosters around here.
They crow all the time and the sound travels a long distance.

I'm glad I don't have restrictions, I do have a few neighbors across the river from me. I am technically city limits but it's like living in the country. My husband and I have 18 acres right at the edge of the city limit line. We live in a very small town, population around 300. The nearest in town neighbor is about a half mile away and he can hear my Roosters crowing. ( I have 4) My mom has six acres in town and she used to have a horse and some ducks. I probably wouldn't be allowed to have Roosters if I actually lived in town. But people are allowed to have as many hens as they want.

I have two MMM hens, the larger of the duo started laying on the 23rd (couple days before they turned 18 weeks) and the other followed suit the next day. The first hen, Jesse, has laid every single day (8 days at this point); 3 of hers eggs ended up having double yolks as well! The smaller has only laid one, though. Wasn't expecting so many eggs as it's winter here now

Attachments

• IMG_20201124_102439.jpg
    IMG_20201124_102439.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20201124_102123.jpg
    IMG_20201124_102123.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20201130_140923.jpg
    IMG_20201130_140923.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 118
I have 4, 1 cockerel and 3 pullets. They are 4 months old right now. From what I have been able to find in my searches I believe they are a sex link cross between a Black Copper Marans Rooster and a Cuckoo Marans Hen. From my experience they are fast growing and large size birds. My cockerel started crowing at 3 1/2 months old and is chasing around the ladies at 4 months old, although he hasn't figured out how to catch one yet! They also get along well with my other breeds in my mixed flock. Here are a few pictures.View attachment 1926979 View attachment 1926980 View attachment 1926981
What is the breed of the middle chicken? I got two of them at Rural King. They were labeled as Starlight Green Eggers but when I google search those the pictures that come up don’t look like them. Your bird is identical to mine! I also got one that looks identical to your bottom picture except mine has feathered feet.

Back
Top Bottom