Midwinter's Bath - Way too many pictures, don't click here if you don't want to see ducks.

@duluthralphie I know you TOTALLY want to see this
wink.png

Oh no! Not @duluthralphie ! He'll tell me I should have put them in 1 pot and boiled them all together
ep.gif

Probably have suggested more of a bacon wrap, but yeah
lau.gif
Now don't you get bacon involved... It is my mortal weakness, I would come to full, satisfied and HORRIFIED!!!!

@MamaDux would kill me twice! First for doing it, then for not sharing...
gig.gif

Last edited:
Well it got a little warmer today but since we have had a bob cat who came down in the area a couple weeks back, there was an immature bald eagle in the big tree out back and the snow in the back yard is still too deep for the ducks to ford with any competency, they got one small pool to splash around in. (We aren't going through this bath thing every weekend, that's for sure...)

We explained to them that they could take turns and we would leave the pool out long enough for all of them to get a turn before going into the sun to dry off. All the ducks but Casey (in the house still) and Latte (stayed back in the pen for a little bit then went swimming with Rhiannon after all the other ducks decided to eat) are in this picture so that is 12 ducks. I guess they decided that they didn't have to take turns in their big pool, so why would they have to in this one...

From the low part of the ramp to the high part are: Gretta, Pocahontas, Roxette, Ettie (I think) and Mystique.

In the pool, Tevye of course is the poof-head, and starting with his bill and going CCW around the pool is Tella (I think) with Entie looped over her. Rhiannon is wedging in, then Dove is facing Kaine who is facing the other way. Behind Kaine is Noir. Allie is hiding in plain sight. She is actually in front of Tevye (most of the body you see is hers) with her head under his butt and Dove's chest. There is some water in there somewhere and it was actually full before the ducks saw it. So when anyone asks you how many ducks can fit in a small kiddie pool, the answer is 8 before stacking. I think there were actually moments when there were 10, but that wasn't a stable configuration. Fortunately, after the initial frenzy, they did take shifts and everyone had a chance to get a little bath.

Believe it or not in spite of the tight quarters, they seemed to have quite a bit of fun. There wasn't much fighting and once they decided to rotate in and out they all had a chance to do all those great ducky washing maneuvers.

Last edited:
Aww Cute Little Ducks. They are all very beautiful.
Why is Casey inside (Was she the one that had a prolapse, or was that some other person's duck named Casey?)?

Aww Cute Little Ducks. They are all very beautiful.
Why is Casey inside (Was she the one that had a prolapse, or was that some other person's duck named Casey?)?
Thank you. Yes, Casey had a prolapse. She is doing well. But she is going through molt now (so much fun indoors) and since she has been indoors and has not been acclimated to the outside, we are looking for a little warmer weather to reintroduce her to the flock. We also want to jail our boys for the first week or two of that (so she can get pecking order scuffs resolved before dealing with boys - ugg!) and right now, the jail border is a snow/straw/poop lasagna that we will need to clean up when we get a break in the cold so we can put the fence pieces in place.

Soooo cute!!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought about letting the ducks have a nice warm bath in the tub since it's been so cold and boring for them. But since my five girls get a freshly filled 9-gallon tub every day (with warm-hot of course) I keep telling myself that they are probably fine lol.

I'm out in the pen with them right now and the silly things are eating snow instead of the nice minced broccoli and mealworms in their tub.

Back
Top Bottom