Might be getting baby chicks from TSC for FREE!!! :D

4 Love of Baby Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Aug 15, 2007
The middle of Middle Tennessee
Yup y'all heard it. For FREE!!!!!!!! I talked my mom into going to TSC even though I knew I shouldn't. The chicks don't come till March 15th so I was lucky today.
cool.png
Well I was talking to one of the employee's and told her about putting an ad on the computor and in the paper offering to take in baby chicks after Easter if you weren't interested in them anymore. Well the employee said that in the 5 weeks following Easter they find baby chicks on their doorstep. And they give the chicks to people whom they know have chickens and be able to take care of them. So I'm going to decorate a flyer and put my name and number on it to put on their board.

All I can tell you is that maybe I'll be able to get some breeds I want and maybe some other chicks to sell when they are older.
big_smile.png
Isn't that neat!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Our semi-local feedstore has an deal in which if you get chick feed, chick feeders and waterers - All that sort of stuff, they give you 5 free chicks. I love chickens and it may sound tempting, but they're just "brown layers" from a local hatchery. I'm not taking in random brown layers; I'm "above that"
hide.gif
gig.gif
I like my purebreds and my colored egg layers.

Congrats though
smile.png

They always have RIR's, BR's, Polish, Assorted Bantam's, Standard and Bantam Cochin's, Cornish x's and Ducklings. I'm hoping to get a few RIR's, BR's and some Cochin's of both sizes. But I will take some Polish too considering I probably could sell them $6 to $15 dollars apiece.
big_smile.png

But I'm definally not going to take any of the Cornish x's. I don't think I could stand butchering them and eating them. Especially if I raised them mysefl. If I bought some freshly butchered Cornish x's that'd be different.

And it wouldn't be right to any ducks for me to take them. I don't have a pond for them to swim in and they poop to much for my liking.

Last edited:
Now that makes me wonder if the TSC that I shop at has anything like that. I wonder if people dump chicks after Easter there too. The chicks and ducks they have this year are different than the breeds they had last year. Last year they had assorted bantams, Sexlinks, and Mallard ducklings. I went in the other day, not expecting their chicks and ducks to be in yet, but they were, and I was surprised to find that this year they have Brown Rocks, SLW's, and Buff Orpingtons for chicks, all pullets, and Blue Swedish for ducks. I was able to resist the chicks (by sheer will alone, lol), but I've been wanting Blue Swedish and I snagged 4. Good thing I don't have a car because they are soooooooooo hard to pass up! My kids love these ducklings though, so it's all good. But I wonder if the next time I'm up there I shouldn't ask them about after Easter. I know the shelter there isn't equipped for chickens, and they are outlawed inside the city itself, so they can't be adopted out unless they are going to be brought out of the city, which narrows their chances of adoption as that shelter doesn't seem to get a whole lot of food traffic. But it has me thinking now...

Back
Top Bottom