Might be jumping the gun a little...

24Elsinore

Chirping
Apr 19, 2021
Downers Grove, IL
Hi everyone!

My name is Peter and I hail from northern Illinois in the American Midwest.

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am new to chickens. However, my wife's family has raised chickens for many years with numerous breaks. I was never interested in raising chickens, until my in-laws started their latest flock. Interacting with them was a lot of fun at first. Then I couldn't go to their place without having a beer in one pocket and a large amount of treats in the other. It turned into my moment of zen to enjoy a cold one and be surrounded by the company of those chickens. Then we incubated a clutch of barred rock eggs for my in-laws, and raising those little chicks sealed the deal. I have been dreaming of having my own ever since.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

None, but I have fifteen barnevelder chicks being shipped to me in June by Cackle Hatchery.

(3) What breeds do you have?

None currently, but I became seemingly infatuated enough reading about barnevelders that I ordered a bunch. I raised a couple of barred rocks for a few months and they were little sweethearts. A neighbor had some lavender orpingtons that I was fond of, and they became quite fond of me with my regular bags of japanese beetles I'd feed them.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

The chickens themselves. My family likes the eggs but I just like hanging out with the chickens. I like they way the look at you, and the way their feathers feel, how the cuddly ones like to settle right down on your lap, and how they calmly talk to you while hanging out. Dogs will worship you, cats settle in to mutual acceptance of you, but with chickens you become one of the flock; you are a good guy, a goodfella, just like how Ray Liotta explains in the movie.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I like fishing, hiking and the outdoors. I am an avid gardener, especially when it comes to heirlooms and native plants. I am a passionate conservationist as well. I have over a decade of experience in gardening with native plant species and natural areas restoration, and I am more than happy to share my knowledge and experience with people who are interested.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My family consists of my wife, my two sons, two dogs, two cats and a red eared slider. I am thankful my wife introduced me to chickens, and is giving me the chance to try my hand at raising them even though she has experienced both the joy and sadness that accompanies it.

My vocation has always been in wildlife and ecology. I have done consulting, natural areas restoration, and academic research (not necessarily in the order).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

Found it about a year ago researching chickens, and it's my turn to join seeing that I'll have my own flock soon!

Red eared slider, lol.

My aunt's boyfriend told be he was gonna buy one. I told him he was wasting money I could get him one. Later that evening I showed up with one from my pond that was the size of a 50 cent piece. Saved him like $15. Think Mikey is like 5 years old now and has been living a spoiled life eating turtle food and dried shrimp daily.

Oh and welcome to the insanity. I'm somewhat of a conservationist but on a private scale. I do do wildlife rescue and release, sometimes taking the ones to local schools for a "show and tell" but tend to stick to myself.

Back
Top Bottom