Might be moving to a farm at long last

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
I am a long standing member of this forum since I was young. Keeping poultry has been a huge dream of mine my entire life. My family is a parrot family. It's the family pet species and I love them. However my uncle bought us those "easter chicks" when I was small and I could never fully wrap my head around how they cost less than 5 dollars a piece and parrots cost upward of $1000 yet chickens will tolerate being handled and parrots are kind of bad pets haha. Being stuck in a town that doesn't allow poultry has been the bane of my existence for as long as I can remember. No matter where I moved as an adult the chicken laws were always the "can't have them here" sort. I met an amazing women a few years back and we bought our first home where I have been able to finally keep my chickens properly. But life is changing once again and it could be a pretty nice opportunity for me and my SO. Anyways My inlaws own a farm with horses. They have had a really rough year or so and they are asking for us to come up pretty regularly to help out. We live about a hour or so from them so we have been discussing moving in and possibly selling our house in the long run. They need a lot of help and have offered to let me have a horse there once or twice but the negotiation is turning rapidly toward keeping poultry there as we will have to bring our chickens with us regardless and her mom has been wanting me to hatch her RiRs for a while now. We have seramas and her mom demands bigger eggs lol. I am also the worst with horses because I do not actively want to ride them and I'd rather just care for them and do work with them. This is frustrating for her horse riding family so I have little desire to actually have my own lol. They are easy people to get along with and if you don't make something their problem they are more than likely not going to care about it. My dream is to have emus. I fell in love with these birds at least 20 years ago in grade school. It blew my mind that ostrichs had "cousins down under" and I have been obsessed since then. That will always be my ultimate goal. They don't really like or understand emus but have agreed if I can put up the fencing (6+ foot around an arce) then it wouldn't be a huge problem. They also were chuckling saying if I met my SO a year or so earlier that the neighbors had them and they would escape and leave green eggs on their property so that would have cut out a bit of work haha. I'm just sharing since I dont't often have much to contribute on here as I end up asking questions instead of having answers most of the time.

Keep your dreams. My husband drew a picture of a log cabin as a boy, and he hung a picture in a rental we had once, of a log cabin. "Why are you hanging that pic?" I asked. He said he always wanted a log cabin. Well now we are living in a log cabin we bought 30 years ago, and it looks the the pic he drew as a boy, and the pic he used to hang in the rental.

Back
Top Bottom