MIGRAINES - update pg 9

Chicabee19

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
n/a
Well, my 'fix' for migraines is not as great as it could be, so I thought I'd ask around for any new ideas.

I suppose I should be grateful I am not having the kind of migraines I had before I got a hysterectomy, but STILL -- those of you who have them know that any migraine is one too many.

I take Excedrin Headache, and always say it's miraculous, but really it doesn't get rid of it, just makes it more tolerable. I take 2 pills as soon as I realize it's coming on. I wonder if taking 3 might do the trick?

Does anyone have a miracle migraine cure I just don't know about?

(Imitrex actually killed me, so I can't take that or anything like it!)

thanks!

Last edited:
I used to take the Exedrin at my doctor's behest. It did nothing but make me queasy on top of the migraine queasy. I don't remember the name of the migraine med he put me on, it was a long time ago. I do remember having to take multiple pills to get rid of one headache. Now I just take arthritis strength BC powders and drink a cup of coffee or a soda. It doesn't get rid of the headache, but it helps some. Lately, I've been skipping the headache part and just having migraines. Very weird feeling.

I have had some serious butt-kickers! Before I quit smoking and when I drank a six pack of Diet Pepsi a day I would get them weekly where I would literally sleep on the bathroom floor because I would vomit so bad. I was horrible. I tried imitrex, all the new migrain meds, everything. I asked my doctor for something I could take at work that would allow me to still function (Im a paramedic) and drive and she gave me a non-narcotic called Midrin AKA Diacetazone capsules. They have worked wonders. She told me it was a powerful type of acetaminphen. It works wonders. Im sold. Now when I feel one coming I take two of those and it slows me down (more like calms me down, Im very type A) but it usually, like 97% of the time knocks it out and I keep going. Yaaaa! I gave a couple to my vet to try when she had a bad one coming and she is hooked too. Good luck!

A couple of "natural" treatments for migraine are magnesium and feverfew. Do some research and talk to your doc about them. There was a double-blind study done on feverfew (an herb) at the London Migraine Clinic that showed a significant increase in migraines in the group that withdrew feverfew from their self medication.

edited for spelling

Last edited:
thanks so much for the advices!

I have some feverfew in the cupboard... never thought to try it for migraine.... BUT -- is it take daily to keep migraines away, or take at onset?

I already take 1500 mgs of Magnesium daily. That may be one of the reasons why my migraines are not as bad as they used to be.

I am asking my Naturopath to let me try Midrin. I'll update the thread with my results.

I use Subliminals quite a bit, maybe I'll find one for Migraine.

I just found a free online hypnosis for migraine. I'm listening to it right now, and I can already tell it's going to give me seizure activity, so I'm turning it off. sigh.
sad.png

I wish I could help you. I can't for the life of remember the name of the meds that my friend takes and she has killer migraines. I mean the kind where there can be no sound or light or anything.

i dont know how you know when your migraine is coming on, but I get them occasionally and the way i know they are starting is i get these silver squiggly finger things in my vision (sorry, best description) and if I can take any sort of ibuprofin right as soon as the vision problem starts, I can almost always ward off the most painful headache, but I have to take it right away, and it has to be an anti inflamatory like ibuprofen, it cant be just any pain reliever. Ive gotten migraines for about 10 years now, and that has worked every time, as long as i can take 6 or 800 miligrams immediately. Usually within about a half hour the vision corrects itself and there is little or no headache.
good luck, they're awful, I know.

I get vascular migraines usually from something I ate - bacon was the culprit this time.

Vomiting usually signals the end is near (I mean the end of the migraine, not the end of me). My nurse friend told me it's because vomiting causes a strong vasovagal neurological reflex, which changes the vascular pressure in the head.

Sometimes ice is the only thing that helps.

I forgot to ask... What is a "goodie"?

I called the doc... now waiting for a script for the Midrin.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom