Migraines...

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
I discovered today that I get something called Migraine Auras...anyone else ever experienced this?

Its hard to explain, but every so often in my field of vision will appear like a backwards C but its a zigzag line of colors, like a prism or kaleidescope. It appears to be shimmering and its on the right side, even if I close both eyes or just my right. It continues to get bigger until it fades from my field of vision. Usually lasts about 20 minutes or so.

Well this morning as it was happening, I tried to draw a pic of it to show DH what I was seeing and was describing it to him.

Then I went online and put some keywords into Google and the first site I came to had people posting exactly what I was seeing. They even had like mini YouTube videos showing exactly what I had just described to DH! They called them Migraine Auras and so I went on to research them on medical sites.

Turns out they are the second stage of a Migraine. First stage is the Prodromal Phase- lasts 1-2 days, then its the Aura Phase, which lasts up to 60 mins, then the Headache Phase hits- lasts from 4-72 hours, then the next 1-2 days are the Resolution and Recovery Phase.

I was sort of excited to find a real answer, but I wasnt aware I had migraines. I do have a stiff neck and minor headache pain today, but I took 2 Aleve this morning. So not sure how bad it might really be.

This happens once a month or so, and I just chalked it up to a freak temporary eye problem, even though I had my doubts it was sight related.

I always thought for a headache to be considered, that it had to be preceded by those flashing light/auras. But that's not so.

My doctor prescribed Imitrex for the monthly migraines I get. It doesn't mask the pain, it solves the problem that gives you the migraine in the first place. I highly recommend it.

There's been other threads on BYC about migraines. Try doing a Search on "migraine" or "migraines" if you want some more opinions about them...

Thanks, I will go take a look.

This is a fairly recent occurance for me, maybe only the 5th or 6th time I have experienced them.

Its freaky to say the least and annoying!

My husband suffers from severe migraines, the kind that starts out a headache and gets increasingly worse and within a short time he is sweating, hiding in the dark and throwing up. Then for the next 2 days he looks and feels like he was hit by a truck.

I have never had anything like that, so I didn't even consider migraines.

I have them as well. Usually once a month when my hormones are out of wack (pre). I am home now from work because I have a huge migraine and feel just icky
sad.png

You know, I was wondering about the (pre) thing. I have noticed normal headaches around then, but never noticed this aura thing to coincide with that. I am wondering how I could have missed the connection.

Its time for a yearly checkup anyways, maybe I will get one scheduled and see what the doctor suggests.

Quote:
WOW, I am glad I saw this thread! I have migraines and never realized there were steps to it....come to think of it now, I do have the auras like you do horsejody...I also have the other pre migraine symptoms, just never realized that was what it was....I think I might be able to combat them a little better knowing this info. The DR said to take meds when I see the onset of migraines but I thougth that was the headache...too late by then.

My dr needs to explain a little better what the onset was.
roll.png

My auras sound exactly like yours, but I often get them without the headache. I hate them, particularly when I have to drive. They seem to distract me, like I have to watch them.

Back
Top Bottom