Migration of large raptors

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickensAreSweet, Oct 10, 2011.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Today I witnessed what I believe to be a large hawk migration over my home. There were more than 200 birds! It lasted for half an hour or more. They were floating on the wind flying from west to east.

I watched the chickens too- they were wary and went inside the coop for the most part, with some lingering within diving range of their pallet shelters to watch the sky.

I tried to look carefully to see what kind of bird it was- they were all the same. My DH said he thought they were hawks. I originally thought they were eagles because the wingspan was so large. They looked black from below. They weren't bald eagles for sure. They weren't red-tailed hawks either.

It was an amazing sight and I was just in awe of these huge silent birds. Some circled above me to check me out too, lol!

2. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    were they in V formation? Sandhill Cranes?

3. ChickensAreSweet

6chickens in St. Charles :

were they in V formation? Sandhill Cranes?

No, they weren't cranes. I was able to see their undersides very well - they were maybe 50 feet up.

They weren't in V-formation. They were just flying so that 10 or so would fly overhead, spread out in whatever way they desired, and then more would come over the trees and more and more....

It was breathtaking.​

4. AndersonFolk

AndersonFolk Out Of The Brooder

ChickensAreSweet, if you do not mind me asking; is that picture in your avatar from Yellowstone National park from in from the Moose Juction, WY side?

5. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:I actually don't know where it was taken, as it came from a free avatars website (I don't remember which one).

Thank you for asking! [​IMG]

6chickens in St. Charles: Thank you for responding to the post too! [​IMG]

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Wasn't it a beautiful , beautiful site?
    I witnessed such a site right over my place in 2009 it took a week for all them to pass.
    I learned they were broad shouldered hawks and were 129 miles off course off their regular migration path.

It was a beautiful site but scared the birds into hiding all week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Bama chick

Bama chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2007
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I saw the same kind of thing and I'm way down here in Alabama. My husband and I were mowing grass when a flock of birds came over. I thought they were starlings and I was going to get a poop shower but as they approached I knew they were hawks. As they flew over us, they began to circle and circle. My husband said it looked like the debris field from a tornado. There were close to 200 of them. A small group would break away and circle then rejoin the rest. I have never heard or read about hawks displaying this kind of behaviour. I've asked the old timers at work and they have never heard of this. I'm glad you wrote about it so I know I was not dreaming. And I KNOW they were hawks.

Lisa

8. AndersonFolk

AndersonFolk Out Of The Brooder

hehe, fair enough. [​IMG] I do believe it is that place though, which is strange because it is one heck of a hike to get there. It is close to Jackon Lake in Yellowstone NP.

Look close at the smooth snow, that is the river, just frozen.

[​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Turkey buzzards are currently migrating south, here in the Central Valley and Sierra Foothills of California.

Daily flights of HUGE numbers pass over (and circle with interest) my property. The geese, ducks and roosters are very wary of them, calling alerts to the flock. I don't think live prey is something turkey buzzards are concerned about, as they are carrion eaters. However, I still make MY presence known by standing in the yard when I see 'em. They tend to resume migration when they see me.

10. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Your bottom pic looks just like they looked from beneath. They had the appearance of being black because they were silhouetted against the sky.

Nice pictures, yours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by