Mildly urgent- one rooster if three is picked on and I’m going away next week

Roostersgalore

Chirping
Nov 7, 2021
Hi, hope it’s ok to post here. Have three roosters, silkies (plain silkie, frizzle silkie and showgirl) raised from chicks hoping for at least one hen. I’ve put two up online for new homes, and will get hens for the remaining boy.
The one I’m keeping is picked on by the others. I only found out that all three of them were Roos last Monday, same day I got them a new coop and run. It’s becoming increasingly obvious that it’s too small for them. Two of them get along fine but I’m worried for the third as he keeps trying to escape when I open the door and at this point the pecking order is established with him on the bottom.

I’m going away next week to a wedding that’s close family, for two nights. Would it be cruel to have the picked on roo in the new coop alone and the two others together in the old one?
The old one is not fit for long term use as it’s almost impossible to clean and not easily accessible. If it wasn’t for the wedding I’d figuratively kick the two aggressive ones out in the run at day and let them in at night as they sleep all three huddled together on the floor at night. I’m afraid of three days unsupervised fighting in the coop when I’m away.

obviously It’s just unfortunate timing, I can’t know when the other ones will be rehomed. I feel awful putting the one boy back And hearing the screeching.
Any advice welcome.

I don't think it's cruel short-term as long as the lone rooster would be sufficiently warm and protected from the weather.
Thank you- he is very social and i feel awful If hes going to crow alone all day calling for the others, but the alternative might be worse! He enjoys human company a lot.

Back
Top Bottom