Milk Chocolate

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Birch Run Farm, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    My cuckoo marans pullets are really kicking in this week. They have just started laying. Here are today's eggs, the marans are the spotty ones and the real dark ones, some really look rather 'chocolaty'. The very big light brown eggs are black giants and the blue eggs are real araucanas. The giants will be two years old in May, the rest are 2008 hatch birds and these are their first run.

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They look yummy.

Good job.

3. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    beautiful...

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    That is gorgeous!!!! I don't think there is much prettier than an assorted "egg basket"

5. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Your giants lay very big eggs! Ours are only around the size of a silkie egg!

6. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Lovely eggs!
    I've been meaning to tell you for ages...your avatar pic scares the living breathing heck out of me [​IMG] . I've grown up around ostriches & those teeth look all too real. Seriously, I get the heeby geebies every time I see it-rock on!

7. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    What a beautiful basket of eggs. those dark brown ones are gorgeous!

8. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Ha ha, sorry about the avatar. I've been to Africa a few times and have only seen how mean ostriches are. They look like they should have teeth! It is a silly picture.

My egg basket is not complete, I don't have any white shell layers! I am thinking about getting some blue Andalusians and or leghorns come spring.

The giants are in their second year and now seem to have acheived greatness with egg laying. I culled heavily and sold birds off in the fall and kept the three best and one good cockerel. Hoping to do something with them this spring. A couple of my cuckoo marans pullets are very big and I may see what a giant X marans cross does as well. I have an interesting EE boy to put with some birds as well.

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I love the contrast of the eggs with that deep blue of the countertop. Beautiful, very country colors! [​IMG]

10. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Chicken Lady,

My house has the same color roof, metal! I didn't build it but it sure is interesting. The house is sided in rough sawn hemlock and I would love to stain it black!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by