Milk Cow Question - Milking only front quarters?

nativodurango

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 11, 2008
Hello,
I have a cow that is very touchy about being milked on the back 2 qtrs. Can I stop milking those qtrs. and only milk the front 2...?... Or will that cause the milk to dry up?

Thank You

It's been a long time since I was involved with milk cows (when I was a little girl) but I believe you have to milk all four quarters or the cow can get mastitus. I do have milk goats and you have to milk both sides of them.

If I'm wrong... someone who knows more please correct me.

You need to milk all four quarters. How long has she been milking? Sometimes when they first freshen the quarters are swollen and sore. If this is the case she should settle in. If she has been milking a while make sure she doesn't have mastitis.

Do you know about
Cowsmiley-2.jpg
? It's new and we are a smaller group but, it's just as friendly and I know you will see some of the same names there as you see here. It's just focused on cows. Nifty has been hounded for a couple of years to get it up and running and he finally did, last month.

Welcome.gif

Last edited:
I agree with FarmerKitty ...milk all four, but definitely investigate a little closer as to why she's so sensitive about those back 2 teets
wink.png

I've been meaning to check out the Backyard Cow sister site, but I know my DH won't let me have a cow in the backyard
gig.gif
...he's still grumbling about my chickens!

I confess, I shouldn't be watching cow threads yet... my landlord is PROBABLY only joking about sharing a cow with me!!

Thank you for the answers..... My husband and I have just purchased this Jersey. She does have a mild case of Mastitis in her 2 back qtrs. She has never been hand milked only machine milked. She is very sore but the previous owner told us that she does not like her rear qtrs. milked...

We thought maybe the rear qtrs. would dry up and we could continue milking the fronts.
It's almost a rodeo every time we try to milk.... We inserted drains into the rear teats to make sure she was empty, but are unable to apply any pressure to the areas.

Anyhow, thanks again we will keep going at it and hope it clears up and she gets less sensitive.

Try putting a halter on her and pull her head around to the side that you are milking her on. Tie the halter to her hind leg. Cows kick out backwards before they kick forward and this jerks them and helps break the habit. If the halter doesn't work then you can try a nose leader. Switching from machine milking to hand milking probably isn't making things any better either and it will take her time to adjust.

With mastitis you need to keep those quarters as empty as possible as it will help heal and end the mastitis. Some are touchy about their back quarters. Has she ever nursed a calf. I would try to geta calf to nurse out the back 2 and you milk the front. I have used Dynamint to massage the quarters on mine and some use peppermint to help loosen the udder up. If you havent milked it out it will get really sore and she wont let you touch it. The only problem with teat canals as it does allow for other bacteria to enter.
Make a pump out of a larger syringe and attach it to a pour on wormer pump or something that can help you get it emptied faster.
Mastitis does make the udder really sore and who knows how long this has been going on. If it gets to bad you could end up with a 2 quarter cow soon. I would call a vet and ask what you need to treat it with and I would definatly try to mik the problem teats at least 3 times a day with warm compresses and massages. Good luck it is hard when its a cow instead of a goat.

that cow needs tobe treated for mastitis now.go get you a box of mastitis meds.an follow the directions on the box.put 1 tube of mastitis meds in ea teat morning an evening for 3 days.an follow the milk throw away times.some are for 3 milkings after the last treatment some are 6 milkings an an some are 8 milkings.you need to put a set of kickers on her.i bet the owner sold her because she had mastitis in the back 2 teats.

Cow Update...
I treated her with Mastitis meds. and she is doing 98% better... At least we have been able to get her milked without being kicked. In fact we did not even have to tie her up this morning. The milk is still yellowish in one qtr. (yes we are throwing it away) The meds that I used are for a 2 day treatment. I think that I will use it one more time in that qtr. and hope that it clears up completely.

Thank you for all your advice. We really appreciate it!!.. My husband and I are learning so much and we want to make sure our animals are getting the best care.

Back
Top Bottom