milk crate nest box question

jamband

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
i have enough crate to use for my boxes......my question is mount them upright or on side? if right side up they are about 11x11 and 10.5 deep on the inside of the crate. But if i mount them upright obviously there is not top.....will they have enough privacy that way? Is it too small if I turn it on its side though? I have Australorps. any thoughts?

I have one milk crate nest box I just put it right side up (opening at the top) on the floor in the barn. The girls use it when the hay feeder for the sheep gets low on hay. I think they'd use it every day if they didn't have access to the hay rack for the sheep.

People do it both ways and both ways work. If you are going to stress about it, compromise. Tilt them at about a 45 degree angle. That way you don't even need a lip to hold the bedding and eggs in. That actually is not a bad solution. Either way will work. What is most convenient for you?

I'm not trying to make light of your question. I think it is a good question. But it really does not matter.

no def. not stressed about just wanted to make it comfortable for them. I thought right side up would be easiest since i dont have add a lip. I like the 45 idea too. Just curious what had woked for other. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom