Milkweed seed pods

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ruth Ann, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    My big wild milkweed plants have huge seed heads
    I want to feed to the chicken. Are they ok...or are they toxic for the birds?

2. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    I would not feed them to your chickens. I don't know whether they would eat them even if you gave it to them. Sometimes they instinctively know what they shouldn't eat. Mine NEVER eat poke, which I have lots of young seedlings of. I also DO have milkweed, and they never seem to go near it, so they might not even eat it. That being said, I wouldn't even try. [​IMG]

Jen

edited for spelling ;o)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

If you google it, most the hits say toxic to birds. mildly toxic to animals. Can cause dermatitis.
    Sounds like it may not be a good idea.

Imp

4. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I don't have the answer to your question, but DO have a thought. The Monarch butterfly caterpillar eats the milkweed plant...the butterfly is poisonous to birds because of this. I would just think to keep my chickens away from milkweed (seeds and everything)...but would like to have that definitive answer also!

I did however come across a blog that read that you can pick the tender shoots of the milkweed in the early spring, and fry them up in butter to eat! But I digress....

5. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    Well I will leave them alone then...
    No need to take a chance.
    I have plenty of other snacks for them. [​IMG]
    Thanks

6. nifty50chick

nifty50chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Thanks for this post Ruth Ann,
    I had no idea [​IMG]
    My place is covered with them, i will be sure to remove any that my gang can access.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by