Milky Poo - Advice Please

8Paws

Hatching
Jun 8, 2020
Hi all,

I've got an Isa Brown that has started doing milky liquid poos about a week ago.

Just wondering if there is any advise on what I should do (if anything)?

Her vent has got dirty around the that time.
She stopped laying around the same time.
No blood.
No treatment so far.
She is about a year old and acting normal otherwise (free ranging backyard foraging, eating, etc).
The other Isa Brown is fine and still laying.
They eat golden yolk and whatever they find in the garden including grass.
Nothing has changed in the environment other than the winter cold (Melb, Australia) has set in.

Thanks!

Trudi

Could you post a picture? Is golden yolk a feed brand?
Yes Golden Yolk is a type of feed (pictured). Also included photos of the poo. Thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• 863FACB3-BDE5-4B22-AAC8-15F6D21410FE.jpeg
    863FACB3-BDE5-4B22-AAC8-15F6D21410FE.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 5A3924CE-511B-4361-8058-F3F123C19D11.jpeg
    5A3924CE-511B-4361-8058-F3F123C19D11.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 9
  • FD7002B4-2499-4336-9B15-A8CA6FEE5C1F.jpeg
    FD7002B4-2499-4336-9B15-A8CA6FEE5C1F.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 6
I should point out these poo photos are a while after The occurrence so the watery part has dried.

White in the poop is urates or kidney waste. She might be drinking a lot more. Can you check her crop to make sure that it is emptying overnight? Some will drink more with an impacted or sour crop. Look for a bad odor from the droppings or irritation around the vent which could be vent gleet. Clean her vent area up with a little warm soapy vent bath, and dry her well.

She doesn't appear to be drinking more, and her crop seems empty overnight. I'll clean her vent area this weekend - any suggestions of what to use as detergent?

Just updating on this as she hasn't improved.
I cleaned her vent and it looked perfect.
I think she is loosing weight and off her feed (though she is still interested in searching for bugs etc).

Attached is todays pop picture. Any other thoughts?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    995.5 KB · Views: 3
It is hard to diagnose an illness without lab work or a vet’s expertise. If she is losing weight, but still eating, I would wonder about cancer. Since she is not eating, there could be something else going on, but cancer is very common. Have you wormed your chickens recently? I would try offering some some chick vitamins or vitamin B complex which might help with appetite. Offer foods, such as wet chicken feed, scrambled egg, canned cat food or tuna from a small bowl.

Just updating on this as she hasn't improved.
I cleaned her vent and it looked perfect.
I think she is loosing weight and off her feed (though she is still interested in searching for bugs etc).

Attached is todays pop picture. Any other thoughts?
How is she doing now? Did you ever find out what was causing the milky poop? One of my hens has just started with poop the exact same but no other symptoms as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom