Mille Cochin Info

Hey WestKnoll Amy and MsBear
Just wondering how you two are and how your millies are coming along
big_smile.png

Hey Lynn

Your birds are looking really good I especially like the top boy Is his type as good as it appears to be ? If so then he could tempt me into getting back into millies again But your progress is showing and its nice Keep up the good work and you will have some of the best around

Hey Lynn

Your birds are looking really good I especially like the top boy Is his type as good as it appears to be ? If so then he could tempt me into getting back into millies again But your progress is showing and its nice Keep up the good work and you will have some of the best around
Thanks Mike. I appreciate the compliments. Yes, the first boy does have good type however, I sold him. He had a slight split breast & I knew that I would have others equally as nice without the problem. :)

I wanted to drop in and share an update. I am out of Milles. I sent all my F3 chocolate Milles to the auction where I got a whole $3.25 each bird (goes to show, a bird is only worth what a person is willing to buy them for). For now, I will be focusing on only one project - solid chocolate bantam Cochins. I am heading back towards focusing on food, so I eliminated all other projects and added Bielefelders and quail.

I didn't hatch many MF this year. I do less and less as the market becomes saturated with the culls and people think they have MF.
I hatched just enough to evaluate what I would get from certain crosses and am keeping those back to grow up for myself. I am getting better pattern but am still fighting for that perfect conformation to go with it. I would love to hatch at least 100 a year but I just can't do it when no one wants to pay for really nice birds and I have to keep feeding them.
I still have the nice ones from you, Bantyman! They are still producing lovely offspring! Just not as many eggs as they used to give me and that is fine.

Ya can keep me in mind Amy.
Loosing a lot of the good ones to predators i was trying to work on and setting me back to the poor color pattern and type. Im always in the market of good birds, eggs, stock!!!
I do have some good roosters as they was safe on the purch and made it. So i do have my black mottled, smooth millie, and millie frizzle from your stock still to keep working with. Also have a pair left from Kaylas stock, 2 hens and a rooster from Nancy, and 2 hens and 2 roosters from Erin M stock. And 2 i got from Tina E. 57 birds left from 100ish. Rest 8s my stock and some other stock to use and work with. Im bummed as i lost the best patterns and type for future stock. Now have to start over.
But it is what it is.... and im willing to do it again since i love my lil birds. ♡♡♡

Starting with very few really nice birds will get you farther faster than starting with a ton of mediocre birds! ;)

Yeah but still so heartbreaking. Im glad i have all my roosters so at least crossing them on my poorer quality hens may help improve the chicks. But i have new plans for coops/pens next spring and will be a proof as possible. All my new heavy duty dog kennels will be installed with kennel tops.
I may not show my birds, but they are very important to me and their safty. They are my lil work distressers and keep me sane and enjoy watching them do their thing. So keeping them safe and happy is a must here.

Yes, we've all lost birds to predators and know how hard it is!! I'm sorry you had such losses too. I meant, it sounds like you've got good stock left? Even though it may not seem as though you have as many as you'd like? I'm sorry, I do not come across well on the computer a lot of times.
I'll help you with whatever I can if I'm able
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom