Mille fleur bantam cochin spangled pekin project

Mira is now 3.5 weeks old. I’m still thinking little cockerel, but hoping hard for a pullet. Don’t have the same background as before, but here are today’s pics. Everyone doing alright? Setting any eggs, chickens brooding, molting, whatnot? 7C1ED0D2-ACCD-46AD-97F5-DC47D0BA7619.jpeg
(“she” would NOT stay still at all lol)
75520D88-1C9B-4241-AAFD-2189082EC876.jpeg Very very adventurous. This is just the child stage of a chick (exploring, never sitting still), coming from toddler stage (would rest in your hands, be very needy).

For what it's worth I still think she looks like a pullet. I find my Pekins are vey fast maturing so I'd expect to see more comb by now. Loving the updates! My ladies are still finishing up their molt though I'm starting to get the occasional egg now. I probably won't hatch until September though.

In posture/stance, Mira looks like a rooster (maybe). She’d stand upright some when alert, but that’s normal for a hen or rooster. For example, 2/3 of these guys were hens.
837421AC-EAC3-4CDA-A945-0E646F666EB3.jpeg F8D1C7E7-032D-4E8A-8A7F-EF4AE77E190B.jpeg
(The white one is the rooster)
But in face compared to the parents is looking like a hen. However I did have a late bloomer or two (8+ weeks showing comb opposed to 4).
945888D9-F3B9-4234-9CDC-9B9C05E7535D.jpeg
Dad (4 weeks)
8DCFDB87-2A71-44C4-A164-E1C43B4C0E6A.jpeg
Auntie (4 weeks)
0E9400C9-FF08-49BF-8D92-9C589FC2C04D.jpeg
Mira (3.5 weeks. Will get more pics soon for 4 weeks)

So do you still only have the 4 MF Cochin Bantams? I would love some extra pics after they’ve finished molting. How old are they now?

@Willawong Hill , we definitely need to get more people on this thread! We’re not the only ones breeding MF Cochin Bantams. It’s been quiet for a few days, so I’m just updating you. This morning, Jesse passed away. He was one of my 3 roosters (Cashew is the most important, my breeding cock), and he may have had some crop issues. I think impacted. I came home from a short trip over the weekend, and left him to a couple that owns chickens. Obviously, they didn’t notice how Jesse was acting, they haven’t had chickens very long. I came home and he looked weak. So I took him in and waited almost two days for his crop to empty. I gave him electrolytes with water, but he barely touched it. His crop was huge, but he was thin as a twig. He’d never been that thin, but he was the size of a hen and very small all his life. I knew his death was coming, but it was too late to save him. So I have Frog (backup), Cashew (breeding cock), and Casey (hen). But Mira is doing wonderfully. She is growing so big and being such a strong baby. She’s four weeks now, and I am thinking hen. I plan to breed her with Cashew, and hopefully they can make some awesome babies. But first, I have to see how good her type is. I gave Casey some bread with calcium, as you recommended, but she didn’t care for it too much. She ate some, but I’ll have to give her more later on. We’ll see if she’ll lay a good egg soon, because I need more numbers. It’s hard with only 4 chickens, 2 of which you can’t yet use (backup and not of age). Hope all is well over there, on the other side of the world!
498EBD4A-250C-42D9-8713-C8EFD97784BC.jpeg

Miracle
A7408BBF-7E0A-4F3C-BA22-B41608BBC541.jpeg
Jesse

@Birdie2019 I am sorry for the loss of Jesse. I am glad little Mira is turning out to be a hen for you and hopefully she shapes up nicely. I don't know anyone else to tag in here but I hope we do get more members. Fingers crossed for more eggs from Casey for you to help build up numbers. I know my little red has started laying again, but she is now trying to go broody! This is tricky as i want to set eggs with all the others too and i don't think everyone is laying again yet. So I need her to keep laying for another month hopefully. I'll see if i can convince her not to sit but i'm not sure i like my chances. Yes, I will try to get some more photos, Millie in particular is looking a little better now she's finished molting. We were supposed to be going on holidays tomorrow but are in lockdown again so i'll have some spare time on my hands. Hope you're enjoying your summer! By the looks of it you're in a very warm part of the US.

Ok photo update.
20210801_154729.jpg

My poor angry pancake little red after being kicked off the nest. I'd really like her to be laying at the end of the month but I'm not sure how I'll go. Still the best hen I have.
20210801_155526.jpg

Gregory Peck at the back watches over some of his ladies, including Millie in the middle, whose type and flowering has improved since her molt but I'm still hoping for better visions on the chicks. I'm considering hatching some eggs from Norah the splash at the front also for some blue split millies as I like her type but not sure if I should go down the blue mille path.
20210801_154822.jpg

Peggy has too much colour but nice yellow feet. I plan on hatching eggs from all my mille ladies to see what I get this first year. Hopefully can keep improving.

Ok photo update. View attachment 2781377
My poor angry pancake little red after being kicked off the nest. I'd really like her to be laying at the end of the month but I'm not sure how I'll go. Still the best hen I have.
View attachment 2781378

Gregory Peck at the back watches over some of his ladies, including Millie in the middle, whose type and flowering has improved since her molt but I'm still hoping for better visions on the chicks. I'm considering hatching some eggs from Norah the splash at the front also for some blue split millies as I like her type but not sure if I should go down the blue mille path.
View attachment 2781381
Peggy has too much colour but nice yellow feet. I plan on hatching eggs from all my mille ladies to see what I get this first year. Hopefully can keep improving.
Oh.. i think Peggy is the most beautiful!! 😍

Thanks for the photos! Glad to see they’re all thriving and doing well. I would think pretty much all of your girls have the genetics in them, so would expect some decent babies. It’s a long process, but you’re starting with some pretty good stock, which is always great. I wouldn’t yet add the splash until you’ve at least hatched a batch or two of the MFs to see what to expect, but if you know how to go about approaching blue, perhaps you could try. I’ve only looked at MF and Porcelain myself, so dont have much info about BMF. However, you can always experiment. If you don’t like them, you can always sell them off to local chicken lovers. Good luck with getting Little Red to lay, I hope she gives you many eggs easily. I have to ask, does she seem to have squirrel tail? That’s a common issue in the MF variety, but as long as her babies don’t have it, I would think you can breed them to her.

Back
Top Bottom