Mille fleur bantam cochin spangled pekin project

Pics
Here is Mira now:
A509EFF9-5B8F-4AB7-B404-1322E7F6F51E.jpeg

Mira is quite the handsome young gentleman
I think 3/4 of my last hatch are cockerels too but they seem to be colouring up ok so far. Hatch day has started again including some eggs I got from another breeder. So far we have 5, but most look to be from the black hens she added to get pen to improve type.

Attachments

• 20211021_105632.jpg
    20211021_105632.jpg
    785.7 KB · Views: 3
Mira is quite the handsome young gentleman
I think 3/4 of my last hatch are cockerels too but they seem to be colouring up ok so far. Hatch day has started again including some eggs I got from another breeder. So far we have 5, but most look to be from the black hens she added to get pen to improve type.
That’s great! They are coloring nicely, yes. I like to see a lot of white in the young; usually gives a better patterned bird in the end (Mira sadly didn’t have much white at all on him growing up). The white is from the Mottled gene I’m pretty sure, and the end result is a bird with more flowering IMO. I am thinking of adding a Black Mottled (frizzled to add extra fun :love) or maybe a black (I only have smooth). Still no eggs from Casey. I think Mottled would be best as my birds are lacking in good flowering.
However, your chicks are looking lovely. Liking the Wheaten babies; try to stay away from adding Partridge to them, as it will muddy up the colors.
Good to hear from you! I expect more pictures soon ;)

Ok, so I've finally got around to posting an update. From my eggs I have two older boys who are over coloured, too much black on the breast, one younger boy who looks pretty good so far and a younger girl who is ok but again a bit over marked with a lot of black in the hackles. I am keeping one relatively well marked frizzle pullet along with a porcelain I managed to hatch from the other eggs. I will probably also keep a slightly undermarked cockerel to help with my overmarked girls. I am having trouble with pink feet as my original rooster had them and it seems to be a dominant trait. The new hatchlings are all nice and yellow though.

Attachments

• 20211231_083200.jpg
    20211231_083200.jpg
    799.9 KB · Views: 2
Ok, so I've finally got around to posting an update. From my eggs I have two older boys who are over coloured, too much black on the breast, one younger boy who looks pretty good so far and a younger girl who is ok but again a bit over marked with a lot of black in the hackles. I am keeping one relatively well marked frizzle pullet along with a porcelain I managed to hatch from the other eggs. I will probably also keep a slightly undermarked cockerel to help with my overmarked girls. I am having trouble with pink feet as my original rooster had them and it seems to be a dominant trait. The new hatchlings are all nice and yellow though.
Theyre so beautiful 😍 so to me, w the darker coloring, they are looking like my tolbunt polish a bit.. they have mottling mixed in too.

20220219_121156.jpg 20220219_120734.jpg 20220220_124344.jpg

I’m so happy for you! Pretty babies. My one question is how do you find out who you’re keeping or not already? They don’t even look two months old. Mr. Miracle never shaped up until about a month ago. They take a good few months to tell of the type and start to tell color. I don’t understand how people all over the internet are selling chicks and have already figured out their keepers. But hey, if something works for you, keep at it! And my goodness, that boy in the background of the photo is priceless. Beautiful boy. I do like the pullet on the right in the foreground. She looks like she has potential, type wise.
If you want an update from me, I will be very sad to say that I have given up on poor ole Casey. This project was really fun, but I never found any Mottleds to breed to these guys and Casey never laid a fertilized egg again. Her son, Mira, is looking alright, but still not as good as his father. I am selling Mira and Casey. Casey to someone in need of a sweet pet and Mira to someone around here who would need a boy with good type and base color for any MFCB project.
When I get back into it, I am buying chicks from a good line and have already selected my future breeder. She offered me MF and Porcelain (you will LOVE that porcelain) eggs because I was so interested in getting this variety standardized. It was so devastating to turn that offer down. Once we get back up on our feet, we are good to get some of her gorgeous stock (Griffin Homestead is her name on Facebook. So pretty).
Miracle pics from a few weeks ago: 1466C1A7-F71A-4180-B52B-7B22308AFAA3.jpeg DEA90046-268D-45E0-91D5-259B1D7C81C2.jpeg
He’s starting to get flowers!

Last edited:
Here are the goals of the type (hatched late Sept/early Oct):
7CC8CBA7-FB9F-47B3-B148-E3877CFCCEF6.jpeg 196673D2-3A8A-488D-A3C2-22A0E85A71C5.jpeg
They are mini watermelons 🍉 😂. Just make sure you build the barn before you paint it. Your birds are far more important with good type. That’s why I’m selling Mira to someone doing a MFCB project rather than as purely yard art. He has type. He doesn’t have pattern yet, but he has base color. These guys in the photos are the goals of the type with that beautiful MF color. My boy, Cashew, was almost there with type. A little wider and a tad fuller tail and he was perfect to me. Your boy in the background that I pointed out is close as well, so as long as the hens were very nice, these chicks shouldn’t be too bad on average.

((No, Cashew didn’t look this good at this age. Took him another month to get to this stage, and took Mira a lot longer, I feel.))

Thank you for that. You just set me straight. It makes so much sense when you say it like that.
Great! I’m glad I could help. That’s always been the number one thing I’ve thought of. Amazing color but terrible type or terrible color but amazing type? As hard as it is, I’d choose the second one. That is the reason this project takes so many years. The color is there, but the type just isn’t

Back
Top Bottom