mille fleur leghorn

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smarsh, Nov 4, 2010.

1. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    does anyone have a photo of Sand Hill Preservation's Mille Fleur Leghorn?

thanks

2. austin.ray22

austin.ray22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Cullman
    I did a search on here and some of the threads had pics. Awesome birds.

3. seabass327

seabass327 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    CARRABELLE
    I'll try and get a picture or two tomorrow or Sunday. The ones I started with from sandhill all had white legs and the male's base color wasn't really buff. Some of last year's males were almost as dark as a specked sussex. The male I'm keeping for this spring is lighter but still too red. He did have really yellow legs early. Hopefully next springs chicks will be better. I like the color pattern on the two older females i've kept from the first year. They aren't great layers, some lay white eggs, some lay off-white tan eggs. One of my females dissappeared, went broody, and came back with 12 mutt chicks, so I don't think they act like your typical leghorns. I'll try and get some pics back soon.
    rich

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We had some but as already said they are not good layers and lay rather small eggs.Sold them to make room for my layers..I have MF Cochins for my color-they are not supposed to lay big eggs anyway [​IMG]
    Now,we have white leghorns that go broody and had a buff that stayed broody...it's just a myth leghorns won't go broody..they do it's just more rare.

5. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    The trouble most of the rare color Leghorn largefowl,is there are so many things to be selecting for,type,color,size,head points,etc. that most people do not raise nearly enough to pick from.In order to have high egg numbers , good shell color,and large eggs;you need a large group of females to pick the best layers,the best white eggs and largest eggs.Most people just do not put enough selection pressure for improvement in these areas.Until they do,or perhaps a group effort,the rare colors will fall short.It is not the fault of the birds but the breeders.Then again not every strain of the color vaieties behave the same,some are actually good.Some hatchery birds have good egg production and can be worked in,but it takes time and effort.Just looking at the complete picture and providing some food for thought.

6. seabass327

seabass327 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    CARRABELLE
    [​IMG]
    one of this year's pullets, she's not laying yet but some of the others are. She is about average for this year, some were darker some were lighter.

[​IMG]
    One of the two hens with the better color. this was the only one I could get to sit still today. In this picture she looks redder, but she has the same base color as the other hen.

[​IMG]
    the only cockerel I kept this year, he was either running from the camera or coming too close for a picture. I couldn't get a profile shot.

[​IMG]
    Second of the older hens. She is finishing her molt so looks a little ratty. This is also the one that went broody.

I'm no expert, but I agree with what Dan said about these birds. Sadly, I don't have the time or space to hatch more than 20 a year, so it may be a real long road for me to make any improvements. If you haven't read it yet go through the buff leghorn thread. Lots of pictures of real real nice birds.

rich

7. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    I rather like the Millie Fluer Leghorn,The males looks of nice type with nice breast mottling.You should aim for yellow leg color as in all Leghorns.When you get to the point that you have yellow legs breed them together and they will produce yellow.The White legged ones may be carrying yellow.try to have yellow on one side of each mating if possible.In Leghorn type,you want the back to have a sweep or concave outline.Sometimes this is achieved by more cushion/saddle feathers or a shorter back/higher tail angle.You also want to see some leg under them/maybe more thigh/thigh length.Squatty Leghorns do not look right. In color you want to avoid too much white or mostly white feathers,they also tend to get whiter as they age in years.A good black spangle acts as a bar to contain the white tip.The ground color is more of a light shade for millie fluer and a dark mahogany ground for the Speckled Sussex color.There are also Red Mottled Leghorns and Brown Mottled Leghorns.The Red Mottled is white mottling on an all red ,or A Black Tailed Red Mottled on the Blk.tailed version.Brown Mottled is mottling on the wild type duckwing or Light Brown Leghorn. In some places there are Blue mottled and Silver Duckwing Mottled.Of all these the Millie Fluer Leghorn is perhaps the most attractive.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  8. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    I have been thinking about getting some of these, but seeing these pictures I think I won't. Their speckling soen't look like there is enough on them. I guess I like the Tolbrunt coloring better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by