1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mille fleur leghorns?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Caprice_Acres, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Does anybody have pictures of these? I see them listed in the Sandhill Preservation site, and I LOVE leghorns and I LOVE the mille fluer pattern, but I haven't wanted d'uccles because I'm not sure I want banties yet. I'd like to hear what people think of them, and possibly how they were developed.

I'm realizing there are a lot more varieties for chickens than I'm aware of. This may be a good thing... Or I'd want them all. [​IMG]

2. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    They have been around for decades.There are some nice pictures on the Dutch Leghorn club.A friend made some by accident using White Leghorns and Black tailed Red Leghorns.Speckled Sussex was used in some lines with Anconas.This was years ago and they have been refined since.They are attractive.

3. Caprice_Acres

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks, I found them. Not called Mille Fleurs on the site, but I recognized them. [​IMG] I LOVE them. I need those and some Exchequers. Some of the other varieties are lovely as well.

4. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    Glad you found the pictures.As I recall those that Sandhill sells came from Ron Nelson of Ogdensburg Wi.,and he still had some last summer.Ron got his from eggs 35 years ago from Paul Kuhl of NJ.I saw Paul last fall,he is getting up in age and has not had any Millie Fluer Leghorns for a while.I think he bought his from someone in NJ(about 1960) and Paul kept them going for a number of years thereafter.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Are you sure they are Mille Fleurs that you found pictures of and not Spangled or Red Mottled both can look very close to Mille Fleurs..

Chris

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  6. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    These were a pair I hatched, unfortunatly a 4 months the pullet died and I had to give the rooster up (can't have them in our area) They are wonderful gorgeous birds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Caprice_Acres

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Are you sure they are Mille Fleurs that you found pictures of and not Spangled or Red Mottled both can look very close to Mille Fleurs..

Chris

The ones I Found a picture of were the "speckled" ones listed on the dutch leghorn site : http://www.leghorn.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=207

I
    just figured the weird name was because they call it something else outside of the states. Is that the mille fleur pattern?

Also, thanks for the pics! They are LOVELY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by