1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mille fleur silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Blue Ribbon Bantams, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Blue Ribbon Bantams

Blue Ribbon Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the best way to achieve mille fleur genetics "from scratch" or what can I breed to MF for more (besides the mille) and I heard that porcelain is a dilute mille fluer can someone explain that? Sorry for all the Qs. -alan:)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    mille fleurs are partridge based, columbian, buff, and mottled... i have mille fleur OEGB's, and i they are split for lavender... so lavender dilutes the black and gold into grey and gold... making them porcelains...

i'm not sure how to make mille fleurs from scratch... i guess crossing a spangle with a black tail buff...???? but if you want porcelains, you're going to need to breed lavender (self blue) into the mille fleurs... that's a different way of breeding really...

good luck...

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Mille fleur can also be wheaten based.

4. Blue Ribbon Bantams

Ok so if I wanted a MF from a porcelain, I could breed porcelain to a black? To bring back in the black gene.. No that would be lav MF split... Ok sonoran, can I make mille fleur silkies from porcelain silkies?

5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Yes, breeding to black remves a copy of lav (unless the black is split, in which case it may or may not remore a copy of lav. However, it will also remove a copy of mottle, so you would not have mille fleur. Breed the offspring together or back to the porcelain parent, and you should get some mille fleurs.

6. Blue Ribbon Bantams

[​IMG] I guess I'm going to start the first mille fleur silkie project [​IMG]

7. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    porcelain silkies are not mille fleur based... they're most likely lavender partridge or something like that... wheaton maybe... birchen..???

anyways... get a project mille fleur cochin bantam pair, and mix them with a partridge silkie pair... that would be a great start i'd figure to get some mille fleur silkies... learn now to line breed... two line breed lines will make it a lot easier than just breeding like crazy based on looks and stuff...

good luck... mille fleur silkies will be gorgeous.... i can't wait to see your progress...

8. Blue Ribbon Bantams

Quote:Nah I would start with mottled silkies, some people have them, and cross in some buff and partridge once I get a real MF then I can have REAL porcelain...

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Nah I would start with mottled silkies, some people have them, and cross in some buff and partridge once I get a real MF then I can have REAL porcelain...

There are not that many mottled silkies out there; I have two adults, and am hoping for lots of babies, but it has definitely been a difficult project. I definitely would not use partridge--buff would be a better choice. Porcelain silkies bred to mottle would be a good choice, too.

10. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca

i just tried what you're planning to do on the chicken calculator... (http://home.kpn.nl/h.meijers69/kruising.html)

you're going to get some partridge spangled... they aren't going to be black tail like real mille fleur because there is no columbian gene there...

maybe buff silkie over a spangled silkie..??? i don't know the genetics of a buff silkie... i figure it would be wheaton, columbian, ginger, mahogany, dilute... amirite...???¿ so... i guess it would be a good start, but you're going to get all kinds of other morphs because of the ginger, mahogany and dilute gene... let me check the chicken calculator...

wow... you'll get all kinds of random colors... hmm...

good luck...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by