Millefleur pekins

Pekinpeekaboo

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2022
Hi all and thanks for adding me. I am just starting out in the breeding of my pekin bantams but Im wanting to know how I get millefleur colouring? Can I breed different colours and start millefleur from scratch? I know it would take time but Im happy to work on it and plan on it for years to come.
Also is the attached rooster classed as milefleur or spangled? That part confuses me

Attachments

• 20220331_181646.jpg
    20220331_181646.jpg
    793.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220331_181602.jpg
    20220331_181602.jpg
    699.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220331_181745.jpg
    20220331_181745.jpg
    954 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220331_181748.jpg
    20220331_181748.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 18
is the attached rooster classed as milefleur or spangled?
I do not think a mille fleur rooster is supposed to have so much black in the breast, and I think mille fleur is supposed to be more gold and less red. So I do not think he is mille fleur color.

Hi all and thanks for adding me. I am just starting out in the breeding of my pekin bantams but Im wanting to know how I get millefleur colouring? Can I breed different colours and start millefleur from scratch? I know it would take time but Im happy to work on it and plan on it for years to come.
Mille fleur coloring should be Buff Columbian with the mottling gene.

Buff Columbian provides the gold color, and the right amount of black.
The mottling gene makes white tips on the feathers, with black behind the tips, and then allows the gold to show on other parts of the feather.

The rooster in your pictures looks like he has the mottling gene, but I think the rest of his coloring is not really right-- he's got that darker red, and extra black in the breast. So he might be useful as part of a breeding program, but I don't think he's entirely right.

Finale Eye Roll GIF by Schitt's Creek

You would tag me in a Mille Fleur Cochin thread. lol I'll have to let the great and powerful Moony chime in on the genetics, but one of the problems I have with trendy varieties is that if it looks like a thing it does not mean it is that thing. *cough* Wheaten Orpingtons *cough* Mille Fleur/Calico Cochins are the same. People crossed various varieties together to get something that looks right, but is genetically not right. It makes breeding them very hard, and explains why even "breeders" have issues getting birds that look like one another. Yet another reason I don't like the color. Too much variation from bird to bird. As much as I hate d'Uccles (stupid feet) at least the pattern/variety looks much the same from bird to bird. And the pattern is much cleaner.

So if I wanted to start Millefleur breeding, can I start from scratch colours? I would love to do it and do it properly right from the word go. If anyone can help, would be great

Back
Top Bottom