Millet

Quote:
I guess I have snooty Guineas, cuz they won't touch scratch
roll.png
Even the Turkey turns up his beak to it, lol. If I try to be sneaky and mix some in with their layer or game bird pellets and fill their feeders I have to dump them out every couple days, nothin' but scratch left... but at least the goats will hoover it up, lol.

My turkeys and guineas will just about attack me to get to scratch! The turkeys fight to see who can eat it the fastest out of my hand! You have some of those yuppie cali birds!
lau.gif

Lmao!
gig.gif
I just mumbled something about cornfed texans, but you probably couldn't hear me over all my snickering Guineas
tongue2.gif

Btw... I sent all the yuppie cali birds down to perchie.girl the other day
frow.gif

Quote:
My turkeys and guineas will just about attack me to get to scratch! The turkeys fight to see who can eat it the fastest out of my hand! You have some of those yuppie cali birds!
lau.gif

Lmao!
gig.gif
I just mumbled something about cornfed texans, but you probably couldn't hear me over all my snickering Guineas
tongue2.gif

Btw... I sent all the yuppie cali birds down to perchie.girl the other day
frow.gif

I am one of those cornfeds! 6'2" & 250lbs
big_smile.png
I guess if I started feeding millet to them then they wouldn't touch scratch but thats the only treat I offer them. I was going to plant a few acres of millet this year but it was too dry! I am in the usuall swampy pineywoods of East Texas on the Louisiana border and we are in the worst drought in 100 years! Really sucks!!!!! Everybody is selling their haygrazers.

Quote:
LOL, for some reason I kinda figured you were cornfed, that's why I made the smart@ss coment
wink.png
Glad you have a good sense of humor like I do, cuz I was just messin' with ya, but now that I know you can take it... lol it's ON!
gig.gif
And just so yano.. I am sooooo far from yuppiness that other than my non-accent I'd prolly pass for a texan lol. I'm just a down to earth country kid (ha, I'm 42 but never gonna grow up)). I grew up ridin' my horse all over Northern California, with the ocean and beach out my front door and giant redwood forests out my back door... and animals of all kinds being one of my hugest life's passions
wee.gif

Oh and FYI... I've never bought a bag of straight white millet, lol they get the wild birdseed mixes that I find ON sale, (or sweet feed that I already have on hand for my horses and goats) cuz I am cheap!

Quote:
I wait until mine are about 2-3 weeks and start with just small amounts to avoid them getting an impacted crop from over indugling, and I'd make sure you provide them with some grit and access to fresh water so they can grind those seeds up.

LOL thanks georgia, that made me laugh
lol.png

There's always more than one way to raise Guineas of course, but I just try to post info that's tried and true with my own flocks, in hopes of helping others work the kinks out with their own flocks like I had to do when I first started out with these whackball birds!
he.gif

The biggest problem i have is their temp.. we had weather in the 90's when they were 3 weeks so i put them out off the ground with heat lamp at night.. the next week it was in the 50's at night.. .. they seem to be either too hot or too cold. too hot in the box with the heat lamp.. too cold with just a light bulb... they are getting bigger now i hope i am out of the woods. ..

Back
Top Bottom