Millie died, too.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickenmum, Dec 7, 2008.

1. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    One of my hens, a Red Dorking named Millie, died. That was before Meme, though. Also, Alice died this past summer and Beatrix died this fall. Is this making me sound like a bad mommy?

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, it depends on why they are dying. If you butchered them to eat then no, you just sound hungry. If they were old or got some disease you couldn't prevent then no, things happen. If they went for a week without food and water........then yeah......

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Agreed..... what is making them die?

4. chickenmum

Dec 7, 2008
    Well, Alice seemed to have gotten sick,( and yes, I used an eyedropper and gave sulmet-water and/or nutridrench like, just about every feeding) Beatrix seemed to have gotten sick sick, too. I medicated her but it might have been that evening feeding that I found her dead. Millie got attacked by a possum or something, and Meme might have frozen( it maybe could've been prevented by making her a jacket thing or taki g her inside. She was molting like, alot, and the weather got cold.)

5. RPetChicks

RPetChicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2008
    thats sooo sad! I have 6 chickens (2 golden laced wyonddottes, 2 plmouth barred rocks, and 2 arucaunas) and I loovee them sooo much I would cry my eyes out if one of them died!

6. chickenmum

Dec 7, 2008
    I don't cry so much when one of my regular chickens dies, but a couple or so years ago when my little Black-tailed Buff Japanese Bantam (Miss Banty) died I bawled. I still haven't gotten little Buff another mate.

7. corydonald

corydonald Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2008
    my coop
    sad [​IMG]

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Not at all. Chickens don't have a long lifespan and sometimes they just die for no apparent reason.
    Don't beat yourself up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by