Millie Fleur suddenly unable to walk.... please help

The little roo who completely recovered got as much of my crushed multi B tables that I could get down him. It was in his water and his dry food. Since B is water soluble I dont think you need to worry about "too much." As in humans, any excess intake just gets flushed out of the body in urine.

It seems like it's more of a neurological or nerve issue? She seems to be using her wings to shuffle around a bit and is using her legs a little too, just not to stand up. Would you recommend the B vitamin WHILE still doing the Sav-a-Chick?

Quote:
Honestly I would recommend poly vi sol ..iron free drops...I have had the most luck with them and it covers a lot more ground than just vit b...I would still do vit b though

I'm wondering about rickets...an illness where they cannot process calcium to make vitamin d...pls look it up as I'm sure I slaughtered the definition...anyhoo my pullet had issues with her leg(s) where she would high step like she was walking over a downed stick w/each step, which progressed into getting wobbly and using her drooped wings to balance, which progressed into what seemed like partial paralysis of one leg. The leg was not paralyzed, she could move it but it was like she lost motor control of it. It would stick straight out behind her similar to what people refer to as 'the mareks pose' and also walking very wobbly in the top of that foot w/her toes curled under. During the course of her progression I tried a few doses of aspirin fir possible inflammation, hypericum (homeopathic st. Johns wort) because I thought it was possible nerve damage, vitamin e, polyvisol w/o iron, spinach, all to no avail.

I am seeing vast improvements w/a recipe I found on BYC for rickets. It's foods you probably already have in your house. She has started walking flat on the bottom of her foot like normal, taking a few steps at a time. I'm continuing the diet. I also added a tablet of vitamin D and drops of polyvisol to each feeding.

If you have ruled out mites, worms, broken legs, slipped tendons, painful bumblefoot infections, etc. I would try the rickets diet. Let me know if you want to try it, I can give you more details on it. I would still separate her and give her a heat lamp.

BaGAWK!! :

I'm wondering about rickets...an illness where they cannot process calcium to make vitamin d...pls look it up as I'm sure I slaughtered the definition...anyhoo my pullet had issues with her leg(s) where she would high step like she was walking over a downed stick w/each step, which progressed into getting wobbly and using her drooped wings to balance, which progressed into what seemed like partial paralysis of one leg. The leg was not paralyzed, she could move it but it was like she lost motor control of it. It would stick straight out behind her similar to what people refer to as 'the mareks pose' and also walking very wobbly in the top of that foot w/her toes curled under. During the course of her progression I tried a few doses of aspirin fir possible inflammation, hypericum (homeopathic st. Johns wort) because I thought it was possible nerve damage, vitamin e, polyvisol w/o iron, spinach, all to no avail.

I am seeing vast improvements w/a recipe I found on BYC for rickets. It's foods you probably already have in your house. She has started walking flat on the bottom of her foot like normal, taking a few steps at a time. I'm continuing the diet. I also added a tablet of vitamin D and drops of polyvisol to each feeding.

If you have ruled out mites, worms, broken legs, slipped tendons, painful bumblefoot infections, etc. I would try the rickets diet. Let me know if you want to try it, I can give you more details on it. I would still separate her and give her a heat lamp.

Ok, I got the Ricket's diet info and will try that tonight, I had looked at Rickets as a possible cause at first but thought my chick was too old for that, at this point though it's certainly worth a shot!​

Quote:
Ok, I got the Ricket's diet info and will try that tonight, I had looked at Rickets as a possible cause at first but thought my chick was too old for that, at this point though it's certainly worth a shot!

The good thing about it is you can feed her the rickets diet and still treat her for other things if you think of something else it could be. I crushed up a 400mg tablet of vitamin D into each feeding also. From my understanding u cant OD her on vit d, the excess flushes out in urine. How old is ur chickie? Mind is 5-7 mos old, hadn't started laying yet. The info I read about rickets diet said use it for 3-5 days...however I didn't see results until day 6 so I was glad I stick with it. I'm on day 9 maybe, I'm continuing since I don't see how it can hurt. Good luck with ur chickie.

BaGAWK!! :

Quote:
Ok, I got the Ricket's diet info and will try that tonight, I had looked at Rickets as a possible cause at first but thought my chick was too old for that, at this point though it's certainly worth a shot!

The good thing about it is you can feed her the rickets diet and still treat her for other things if you think of something else it could be. I crushed up a 400mg tablet of vitamin D into each feeding also. From my understanding u cant OD her on vit d, the excess flushes out in urine. How old is ur chickie? Mind is 5-7 mos old, hadn't started laying yet. The info I read about rickets diet said use it for 3-5 days...however I didn't see results until day 6 so I was glad I stick with it. I'm on day 9 maybe, I'm continuing since I don't see how it can hurt. Good luck with ur chickie.​

Well she certainly seemed to love the food! She seemed quite perky last night and stronger today, she's just two months old, thanks so much for the tip, fingers crossed:)

Back
Top Bottom