Mind boggling challenge for all u die hard chicken lovers!

Big Red

Songster
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
Paradise
Here's 2 picks of chicks that hatched out from my White Leghorn Eggs. The matings were of a White Leghorn Roo and Hen. She has never been mated with any other Roo.
How did i end up with 2 out of 11 with Black and Grey down with patch of Brown around the eyes??

I also have one that is of a Light Brown Color.

1 Day Old
Picture095.jpg

1 Week Old
Picture096.jpg

I'd say that there had to have been another roo visiting Paradise... or one or more grandparents on both sides had some dark.

Are you certain you didn't have a white andalusian hen in there that you thought was a white leghorn?

When I picked up my pullets at TSC last week, I noticed a chick in with the White Leghorns that looked a little different.

She has muffs ! No beard, but muffs and green/slate legs ! AND a pea comb ! She lives with me now
big_smile.png

Her name is Patty !
hugs.gif

Waiting to see what color her eggs are
pop.gif

I'm quite on the mark with labeling the eggs as i pick them up from the coop. The white leghorns have been in there breeder cages together all along. I even have a white chick with a tiny black spot in the center of it's back. Maybe Mahonri is right ...maybe it came from her grandparents or parents line. She was brought in from a hatchery from our Agriculture Dept. Maybe they are cross breeding their birds. Who knows.

Quote:
I'm pretty certain it was a White Leghorn but maybe your right about the grandparents. It's going to be interesting to see what they grow up to look like.

Back
Top Bottom