Mind boggling challenge for all u die hard chicken lovers!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Big Red, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Big Red

Big Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Paradise
    Here's 2 picks of chicks that hatched out from my White Leghorn Eggs. The matings were of a White Leghorn Roo and Hen. She has never been mated with any other Roo.
    How did i end up with 2 out of 11 with Black and Grey down with patch of Brown around the eyes??

I also have one that is of a Light Brown Color.

1 Day Old
    [​IMG]

1 Week Old
    [​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

SHE may not have been mated with any other roo, but her (or his) parent's surely were!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd say that there had to have been another roo visiting Paradise... or one or more grandparents on both sides had some dark.

Are you certain you didn't have a white andalusian hen in there that you thought was a white leghorn?

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

When I picked up my pullets at TSC last week, I noticed a chick in with the White Leghorns that looked a little different.

She has muffs ! No beard, but muffs and green/slate legs ! AND a pea comb ! She lives with me now [​IMG]

Her name is Patty ![​IMG]

Waiting to see what color her eggs are [​IMG]

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    you mark the wrong egg before putting them in the incubator.

6. Big Red

Jan 12, 2009
    Paradise
    I'm quite on the mark with labeling the eggs as i pick them up from the coop. The white leghorns have been in there breeder cages together all along. I even have a white chick with a tiny black spot in the center of it's back. Maybe Mahonri is right ...maybe it came from her grandparents or parents line. She was brought in from a hatchery from our Agriculture Dept. Maybe they are cross breeding their birds. Who knows.

7. Big Red

Jan 12, 2009
    Paradise
    Quote:I'm pretty certain it was a White Leghorn but maybe your right about the grandparents. It's going to be interesting to see what they grow up to look like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by