Mini Appleyard Incubation Tips?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hokankai, Mar 1, 2013.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    How many days does it take for mini appleyards to hatch? They'll be incubated with chicken eggs, what's the best way to ensure a good hatch? Thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    In general duck eggs take 28 days, and there are some exceptions. There seem to be significant differences in the requirements for a good hatch between ducks and chickens, so I don't know how successful both in the same run will be. There is a thread Formerly Known as Hatch Day is Today, perhaps someone could field that question better. I just know what I have been reading here.

3. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Your chicken eggs will go into lock down before your duck eggs. You will need a couple of incubators to do this with good results. The duck eggs will still need some turning when the chicken eggs do not. I've done it with Mallards before I really knew what I was doing, lol. I don't recommend it.

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I was planning on setting the appleyards a week earlier than the chickens so that their hatch day was the same.

5. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    It may work for you. One thing, ducks are much quicker to get their feet under them than the chicks are. You may have to seperate them out into different brooders sooner than you might want to. Ducklings will bowl a chick over just by being ducks. Good luck to you! Please let us know how it all turns out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by