Mini Appleyard Incubation Tips?

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
How many days does it take for mini appleyards to hatch? They'll be incubated with chicken eggs, what's the best way to ensure a good hatch? Thanks!

In general duck eggs take 28 days, and there are some exceptions. There seem to be significant differences in the requirements for a good hatch between ducks and chickens, so I don't know how successful both in the same run will be. There is a thread Formerly Known as Hatch Day is Today, perhaps someone could field that question better. I just know what I have been reading here.

Your chicken eggs will go into lock down before your duck eggs. You will need a couple of incubators to do this with good results. The duck eggs will still need some turning when the chicken eggs do not. I've done it with Mallards before I really knew what I was doing, lol. I don't recommend it.

I was planning on setting the appleyards a week earlier than the chickens so that their hatch day was the same.

I was planning on setting the appleyards a week earlier than the chickens so that their hatch day was the same.
It may work for you. One thing, ducks are much quicker to get their feet under them than the chicks are. You may have to seperate them out into different brooders sooner than you might want to. Ducklings will bowl a chick over just by being ducks. Good luck to you! Please let us know how it all turns out.

Back
Top Bottom