1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mini chicken egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MShain, Jan 7, 2012.

1. MShain

MShain New Egg

Jan 7, 2012
    Today I gathered my eggs and found a little egg in the nest that was about 1 1/2 "....what's up with that?????

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi MShain,

Welcome to the BYC forum.

Sometimes, the egg-laying mechanics of the chicken go wrong. It's possible that the tiny egg will have no yolk. It is probably just a once-in-a-blue-moon thing, and nothing at all to worry about. Blow the egg out, save it, and have a trophy of a tiny egg. ;O)

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Sometimes they are called fart eggs, wind eggs or rooster eggs!

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    'Blip' egg! [​IMG]

5. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    I have gotten a couple of these out of my hens. they have had yolks in them and they were very delicious. They were very "rich" in flavor. Yummy. Make sure that when you crack it open, make sure that you do it into a bowl by itself to be on the safe side. By all means if you can cook it, do it and enjoy it.

1 3/4 inch long
    [​IMG]

next to a regular egg by another hen
    [​IMG]

6. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    My girls will occasionally lay a tiny egg after they finish a molt or after a break from egg laying. Nothing to worry about.

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I call those hiccups in the egg factory. I got 3 back to back from my serama pens. The first one being the biggest the next 2 the size of jelly beans.

This is the first one, fits inside a beer bottle cap. Next to other regular sized serama eggs
    [​IMG]

Here it is again next to the second smaller egg laid the next day
    [​IMG]

8. I got my first two today. Yep, I said two in one day. My barred rocks are molting and not laying in mid August in Georgia. Maybe they are done molting...hmmm. Gotta be a reason for fairy eggs.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by