Mini Coop for Two--Questions???

lhayes1976

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
Louisville, KY
Right now I have six Comets in the brooder--I'm giving my son 4 and I'm keeping a pair. I plan on buying a coop that one of the local carpenters have built. The hens are going to be in my garden which is basically a 24ft sguare which is fenced with a 3.5ft picket fence. They won't have free range of the garden, they will be in the coop/run on one side. The coop itself will be a 3x4 with a run of 3x6. Now for the questions.
We do have predators, so should I get a wire bottom? Don't they need to scratch?
My plan is shavings in the coop and sand in the run area. Since they will be in the run area--do they just eat what I feed--or do they still find food in the same area. I plan on moving them around the garden a couple of times a year--in between plantings.

When my garden gets established, I plan on letting them range supervised for short periods-will they fly out?
Will they be hard to get back into the coop?

Also, can I move them outside at four weeks of age? I'm so excited about my new girls. I've wanted to do this for a couple of years. I'm going under the radar with them, since my HOA says no, but all they can do is tell me to get rid of them. If they raise a stink, I'm going to let my son have them. I love this forum and all the helpful folks. I hope you guys are ready for my constant and sometimes silly questions, Thanks many times over.

Are you asking about a wire bottom in the run? Personally, I do not like wire bottomed runs - it stops the birds from scratching and digging (part of the joys of being a bird). Make sure the wire that the run is made out of is NOT chicken wire - as chicken wire will not stop a predator. I prefer woven wire over welded (welded will bread at the welds allowing predators in also) - and sometimes just hardware clothe.

Chickens do not need scratch - but it is nice to offer them different food options (do you like treats?
tongue.png
)

If they are kept in the run - they will, even with two - have it eatten down to nothing in no time flat (a week or less). They will find things to eat, but still feed them their regular food.

Your birds might fly over a 3.5 fence - hard to say for sure as everyones birds are different. I have some small bantams who think nothing of flying over a 5 foot fence and some large birds who would never jump a 3 foot fence. They will find tasty stuff to eat in your garden - and will help cut down on bugs.

You can move them out at 4 weeks of age, as long as it is not cold at night or you provide a heat lamp for them when chilly. You can also pack them up and take them outside for a couple hours - both you and the chicks will really enjoy the time outside.
smile.png

ya.gif
for you and your chicks.

Quote:
Can I say I Envy you for only having 2 chickens.....Im afraid some days I may have gotten to many. I dont have nearly as many as most on here, counting my babies now I guess about 30 and a good portion wil be roos and will be rehomed (maybe) But for 3 yrs I had One little bantam hen and all was great and then she hatched eggs I got her and so on and so on....some days I wish I didnt go hog wild and get so many
he.gif
....it is more to worry about and stress about predators etc....so thats all, just wanted you to know you are Lucky to have 2 hens to care for
lol.png

It's so cute that you think you can stop at two!!!
lau.gif

As for getting them into the coop, if you let them out late afternoon/early evening, ideally they'll put themselves back in the coop for bed.

I have to stop a two--I'm illegal. I would love to have more than two. I just hoping I can keep these girls a secret.
Since it seems that wire on the floor is not good, I'm worried about predators. Will they dig under the run to get to my girls. Here's a pic of the coop I plan on buying. How secure do you think it is?
3nd3o93p35V15P05X0b513cbccbdc43ab1cf8.jpg

Quote:
Lol, i was thinking the same. I built a super cute small coop last year and wanted to keep it SO bad but I KNEW i could never just have 2 chickens!
tongue.png

I don't like wire bottom runs, the chickens can't dig, scratch and dust bathe. They will eat the food you give them plus grass & bugs they find in their run too, so if you move them around and let them range they will be Very happy & fat birds!

Quote:
Hey don't sweet it law or no law you need chickens! I have chickens on two properties one residential and one alr. On my res prop I keep a flock of lavender orphingtons, oegb, araucanas, and barvelders. It's all good half of the cities workers come knock on my door to buy eggs lol.
Aiden

I don't plan on moving it. I know it's built to be moved, but I won't be able to do it. I plan on putting them inside of this garden area
fe565e1b.jpg

There is no way my HOA would let me have the tractor out in the middle of the yard. Now I'm concerned about not being able to move them--will they be okay?. I just plan on feeding them daily and letting them out in the fenced in area after the garden gets established. I've read where some do-- I'll have to see how they do. Hopefully they won't demolish it.

Cute coop. Put hardware cloth skirted out 10" around the run, and nothing will burrow under. Yes! They WILL destroy the garden. Do not let them out in it until you are finished harvesting.

Back
Top Bottom