Mini Crock Pot in Coop

Quote:
Ill let you deside If I fit the bill. I have had 2 years of construction tech in high-school which was 90% electrical. Wired several houses. Half my collage time was electronics an wiring. Working as a firemen for 13 years I took every fire related class that was offered in the state. I also drug every bit of information I could get out of the state fire Marchall at every fire he investigated a fire here.

As I said, every time you put electricity somewhere there is some fire danger. Without knowing the wattage, a crock pot has pretty much the same set up as a cheep incubator inside it. It also has to be tested to the fail point. If it cant be ran 24/7 and fail in a safe manner it would not get UL approved. If the outside is not getting to hot I say its safer than the foam incubators we all leave running in our houses all the time. They have an open element that gets several hundred degrees hanging an inch under a flammable foam case. My only issue is weather the case of the crock pot gets to hot which can only be known by running it. None of us can rate that issue from our keyboard. Its really about the same as putting a bulb in a cookie tin. Judge your risk an make an informed decision. We have to do that with every thing we do. Even something as simple as the "deep litter method" has a fire hazard risk to it. My barn may burn down from that tomorrow, ya never know.

Quote:
Good advise I will try that!
lol.png

4-5 weeks old, yes add heat. I don't even add heat to 3 month old birds in 10 degree weather. Read in the news someone burnt their house down by running a hair dryer as a heater.

Quote:
All day is not the same as 24/7. A lot of appliances that are designed for many-hours use will fail (at a significant rate anyhow) if left on all the time. The materials are just not designed for such prolonged uninterrupted heating.

I never said I was leaving it on 24/7, The first night I left it on for about 10 hours, checking it every hour for til about 1am, It did not seem to raise the temp in the coop but rather it seemed to sustain it at 25F to 30F. Last night I turned it on at 8pm and turned it off at 1am, because it was not as cold.

Don't things have to get a certain temp before they can combust?

Yes, but demonstrably the wiring and plastic and such inside appliances CAN do that. Or can become damaged enough for things to come undone and start arcing. This is not theory, this is "it actually happens".

Regular light bulbs get over 100 degrees in under a minute, That sounds dangerous.

It's comparable to what your crock pot does. What wattage is it? The overall heat output of any electric appliance is pretty much a function of its wattage, there is not a *lot* of difference in efficiency (% watts converted to heat) between lightbulbs vs other things that heat up. There can be differences in how hot a given part of the appliance gets, but don't be judging that on the basis of how hot the inside of the crock feels to you -- the point is how hot the *element* gets, and it is probably pretty comparable to the lightbulb.

That a good point, I am sure that the heating element is much hotter than the inside of the bowl and could ark, and I have no doubt "it actually happens".
It says it 35 watts so it is not ever going to get as hot as a bulb.
That is what a guard is for.

Or if any one with electrical knowledge would chime in.

Oh, you really really don't want to hear electricians' thoughts on the subject of freelancing unusual ways to rig up heating appliances. Really really
wink.png

Just sayin',

Pat​

Acctually I DO want to hear from somone who know more about this.
wink.png
The more experience they have the more I am inclined to beleive them.​

I spent several years trying to close up barns tight which resulted in moisture buildup. Then they seemed colder because of the dampness.

I also tried several types of heaters. My favorite is the milk house heater which is small and can be hung near the roosts. I also have tried the heat lamp.
And the oil filled radiators..

But really the chickens and especially ducks can gradually adjust and get used to the cold.

A dry barn is better than a moist warm one!

Quote:
Right, If they are naturally warmer than us in the winter, Than in summer it must be to them, Like what winter is to us!
tongue.png

What can you do for birds when it is too hot?

Quote:
Right I hear ya about the moisture! I need to get a humidity reader. On a normal year I would have went to sleep not worried about them, but this one WOW:sick
Hey at least it is heating up today, Hope tonight it stays above 20F!
Happy Turkey Day!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Crazy weather here in Wa right? Have not felt cold like that here for 8 years, and we still ahve 3 months to go! Have your birds been shivering?
That is so sad, a hair dryer, really? I opened my window and it froze open! Had to use a hair dryer to thaw it, and close it!

I like your BYC page amazing pic's!

ok now my thoughts . i would not used the crock pot in the coop it get to hot on outside and that little is only good to have it on not more than two hours, and it need food in there n if u have on the floor and the pine shaving, hay touch can start get hot and smoking.
i would make cookie tin heater by hinkjc
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=107951
or
Terracotta heater by BrewedInNh
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5163484#p5163484

than put your water on it.
i make the cookie heater [first saw] and i put my 2 gallon metal water on it with a tile underneath it and dont have it near any bedding

with a EasyHeat Plug In Thermostat that turn on when the temp drop below 35 degree
http://www.lowes.com/pd_21563-72436...syheat&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=easyheat

Back
Top Bottom