1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mini Duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by moselys, Mar 4, 2013.

1. moselys

moselys Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    Question ... I have no idea what breed of duck we have. She is white and brown with orange feet. She started laying eggs 4 days ago and her eggs are about half the size of a chicken egg. Is this normal? Is there a breed of duck that lays small eggs? I haven't found anything on the internet yet so I thought maybe someone on here would know. Here is a picture of the egg from today. The white egg is our chicken egg and smaller brownish egg is from the duck. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Often, early eggs are very small. Do you have a photo of the duck?

3. moselys

Sep 26, 2012
    Here is a recent picture of the duck

[​IMG]

4. DeckDuck

DeckDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    Oh, she's pretty!

5. moselys

Sep 26, 2012
    Thanks, I like her too! I just wish I knew what she is. I got her from a local Amish family and they weren't sure which ducklings were from which nest. I had another one but he was killed by something a few months ago. My sister jokes that she is some new breed, she calls her a "goose-duck". lol

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could she be a Muscovy-Non Muscovy mix (mule)?

She is lovely!

7. moselys

Sep 26, 2012
    Anything is possible. I plan to get more ducklings and chickens as soon as the weather gets a little warmer here. More than likely from the same people so I am going to ask them what breeds they have and then try to piece together what she might be, or what mixes she might be!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by