Mini eggs?

GarthRyan

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Hello, I have a brown leghorn hen that's just started to lay, about 6 months old. I've gotten four mini eggs from her, is this okay? Will she start laying average eggs sometime?
The brown one is from one of my older hens, about 11 months, and she only did that once and is back to normal.

Usually a pullets first eggs on average are smallish compared to what an adult hen of that breed will lay, if the pullet is in good condition and fed well etc, the size she lays gets gradually larger as she keeps laying, until they hit normal size for her breed ... the charts for the commercial breeds usually say it takes them about 2-3 months. The biggest average eggs they will lay are usually when they start laying again after their first molt. The egg looks like a normal egg, just small (it has a yolk?) Pullets just starting will also sometimes lay all kinds of weird eggs, besides really big ones or small ones, tiny ones without yolks/ wind/ fart eggs, the double yolked ones, shell-less ones etc as they get their system in gear.

This one is the size of what I've seen people call fart eggs. It has no yolk. My white leghorns, same age, have been laying around a month and for a couple days i got some massive eggs compared to any I'd had before. But right now both age groups are laying about the same size. The older ones are australorp and BR though so other than color they're pretty much the same.

I'm not worried at all about the hen in question though because she's in perfect health and is just now growing her big floppy comb (it's started to fall over like leghorn combs do) so that's why I'm not saying "what's wrong with my hen" in a panic. Just wondering if her eggs will begin to get bigger because I've never had small eggs from my other 9 hens.

Thanks for the response, hopefully she'll grow out of it though but if not, it's interesting having tiny eggs and it's fun when I take them to my egg buyer.

Well, I'm still getting the same pint sized egg from my hen. Maybe she just hatched without ova and that's why she hasn't made one egg with a yolk? Maybe she has a birth defect or just has some other defect. Oh well, a happy and healthy hen, she is.

Back
Top Bottom