Mini geese???

I've never heard of them either...
idunno.gif

I would speculate that miniature africans are actually chinese--the two look almost the same except for size.

Not a domestic goose, but the Ross's goose is really small--about the size of a mallard.

Nene geese are also very small.

Ross's look like a snow goose--they are absolutely beautiful. We had one for a short while last winter/spring at the lakes in a nearby park. There are year-round brown africans there, and occasional migratory canadians. Lots of wild mallards. Some of the mallards are larger than the Ross's. The Ross's hung out with the africans until it disappeared; I was afraid a predator got it. Ross's are usually in large flocks, and this was a single bird who remained long after most of the migrating birds left for cooler climates

Last weekend I was at that park for the first time in weeks. A bird that looks like a cross between a Ross's and an african was there. It had the pink bill of a Ross's with orange legs and feet (Ross's are pink). Feather colour & pattern was pretty similar to the africans. Size was that of the Ross's.

No knob, but the top edge of the bill was a much larger/wider white cere. I need to go back with my camera.

Could this bird be a cross between last year's Ross's and the africans? If so, since it was the only similar bird there, how/why would it have known to migrate here?

I have a 3 year old breeding pair of Shetland Geese for sale, they are minature in size and color sexable at hatching. They are slightly bigger than my Giant Pekin ducks. I am asking $200 for the pair, no shipping - though I will deliver to shows in Indiana, Kentucky or Missouri.

Matt John
Columbus, IN

I bought a trio from Holderreads and they are to arrive tomorrow. He has been breeding a small strain of goose for about ten years. This is the first year they are releasing some adults to the public. They are in the 8 lb range and can be color sexed. I am guessing there is some Shetland in their linage. I'll post pics next week.

Back
Top Bottom