Mini pony refusing to canter

Butterscotchbitesfinger

Enabler
5 Years
Nov 2, 2018
NSW Australia
Hi everyone,
It’s been a while since I’ve been on her let alone since I’ve posted.
My mini pony Peggie Sue has been a little off colour lately, normally she Is galloping up for food the second she hears the feed shed door close but lately she has been a little more reluctant to canter.
She is overweight but she is not laminitic, I’ve had laminitic horses before and she has never displayed those symptoms. However, I will say I have not taken her out on her usual walks lately so maybe she is a little understimulated. I’m not sure. But today I got her to walk and trot and she was fine but highly reluctant to canter, when I eventually did get her to canter she was fine it was just getting her to that was an issue.
So anyway,
Does anyone have any ideas about what it could be causing this?
Thank you.

Hi everyone,
It’s been a while since I’ve been on her let alone since I’ve posted.
My mini pony Peggie Sue has been a little off colour lately, normally she Is galloping up for food the second she hears the feed shed door close but lately she has been a little more reluctant to canter.
She is overweight but she is not laminitic, I’ve had laminitic horses before and she has never displayed those symptoms. However, I will say I have not taken her out on her usual walks lately so maybe she is a little understimulated. I’m not sure. But today I got her to walk and trot and she was fine but highly reluctant to canter, when I eventually did get her to canter she was fine it was just getting her to that was an issue.
So anyway,
Does anyone have any ideas about what it could be causing this?
Thank you.
How old is this pony? Any signs of soreness? She may simply be getting stiff, or not have enough muscle to hold a canter, but that does seem like it’s probably not either of those. How hot is it where you are located? My horses have all slowed down considerably since we’ve had a bad heatwave sweep through, and horses that usually come running will slowly mosey their way to their feed stalls. Granted they are walking fast, but when you are used to them tearing across the field they look like snails 😂 I usually work them early mornings when it’s this hot, but they are even a little sluggish under saddle. Hoping you can figure out the issue 🙏

How old is this pony? Any signs of soreness? She may simply be getting stiff, or not have enough muscle to hold a canter, but that does seem like it’s probably not either of those. How hot is it where you are located? My horses have all slowed down considerably since we’ve had a bad heatwave sweep through, and horses that usually come running will slowly mosey their way to their feed stalls. Granted they are walking fast, but when you are used to them tearing across the field they look like snails 😂 I usually work them early mornings when it’s this hot, but they are even a little sluggish under saddle. Hoping you can figure out the issue 🙏
She’s about 7 now. No real signs of soreness, i trotted her up and no lameness or favouring of legs. It was actually the first 30C day here yesterday and she still has quite a substantial winter coat so that could very well be it.
We are in Australia, and we’ve just come out of winter.

Thanks, she seems better today and it’s cooler.

She’s about 7 now. No real signs of soreness, i trotted her up and no lameness or favouring of legs. It was actually the first 30C day here yesterday and she still has quite a substantial winter coat so that could very well be it.
We are in Australia, and we’ve just come out of winter.

Thanks, she seems better today and it’s cooler.
Yeah I’m guessing she’s hot then. I don’t own him but a boarder at my place has a pony (we don’t know what he is but it’s partial draft) and he gets the thickest coat around here, and he’s miserable when the temperature rises again. Glad she’s doing better.

Yeah I’m guessing she’s hot then. I don’t own him but a boarder at my place has a pony (we don’t know what he is but it’s partial draft) and he gets the thickest coat around here, and he’s miserable when the temperature rises again. Glad she’s doing better.
So it turns out she has laminitis
She took a turn for the worse so we got the vet out and they diagnosed her.
She’s now in a small yard down the back of the property on dirt

Back
Top Bottom