Mini tractor for chicks- talk me out of it??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tracyree, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    So I came across a little tortoise play pen online and it looks like the perfect play pen for a few baby chicks. I have 3 that are 2 weeks old, so a long way off from being with the big girls.

Talk me out of buying it?

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=244&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=1

It's so cute!

I would only use it during the day inside the secure run (so no dogs over turning it or anything).

It's too small for using it later on, for say a brooch mama...isn't it?

Cool video demonstration as well:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?deskto...e.com/watch?v=GGzVcJq5x6E&v=GGzVcJq5x6E&gl=US

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    You came to the wrong place if you truly want to be talked out of something chicken related! [​IMG]

That's too cute and it would definately work for a few chicks or a broody hen. The only thing that I don't like is the spacing of the wire...it won't keep snakes out. Cover the existing wire with hardware cloth and it should be good to go!

3. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    Quote:I thought the wire spacing was too big until I watched the video.... The video makes it look smaller? I'd be fine lining it in hardware cloth though.

Hmmm, so you're saying it's big enough for a brooch girl? If I can find a possible future use after these chicks are old enough to go with the big girls, I can totally justify it. Ha.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I looked at it again and it might be a tight squeeze for a large breed broody but it'd be perfect for banties.

5. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I can say after looking...I can't talk you out of it!! Too cute!

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I'll talk you out of it. You need something really much bigger for all the chickens you will get. [​IMG]

7. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    Ha! Well, I have a big coop, but need something for the 3 babies to playing outside without the big girls eating them. I'd buy this in a second if it were about twice as big.

8. Abirdbrain

Abirdbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

IMHO it is too small. The sides should be at least 30 inchs tall. Get your hamma, n'some nails, N' do yur own. taint that hard.

9. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    I'm gonna skip it. I would loooove to make my own. Mama to two small kiddos makes it tough though.

10. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I made what I think was a very clever chick "play-pen" out of 3/4" PVC pipe and poultry netting. It's 6'long by 4'wide (so I could use 10' pieces of pipe with no waste) and about 2 1/2' tall so that I could use 36' poultry netting around the outside and still have a 6" skirt at the bottom. The skirt isn't really a deterrent to predators, but it means I can put a 2"X4" on the skirt and feel confident that a chick couldn't wiggle under if there were slight dips or rises in the ground. I used the pen in the garage (set on a piece of linoleum) on bad weather days or when I couldn't be nearby to keep an eye on them and outside on nice weather days when I could keep an eye on them. Now that my girls are 7 weeks old and out in their coop and run I can use the "play-pen" to extend the size of the permanent run, again at times when I'm close by working in the garden or coop itself because I wouldn't count on it holding up to a fox for more than about 3 minutes. If you'r interested I'll post photos and more detailed instructions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by