miniature goat questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lisamarie, Oct 8, 2009.

1. lisamarie

lisamarie Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    hi all,

so glad i noticed this forum on back yard chickens!

okay, just got 2 nigerian dwarf goats, does. they may or may not be pregnant. fingers crossed that one of them is because i don't know how to even begin to try to get them bred.

what is the best feed if i want to be as natural as possible? should i do a comb of alfalfa and orchard? what is orchard hay?

also, will they run away? i purchased electric netting for them, but it's a small area that it contains plus it's hard to get it into areas where they have trees/weeds for browsing. we have 3 acres and are not by a main road. will they stay on the property or would they just run?

if i do do the electric netting fence, how do i introduce it to them?

right now they are on a tether that i move around and in the barn at night. is that just awful to do? i thought i might continue to tether them for some time during the day so i can get them to areas for weeds if i do the electric fence.

thanks,
    lisa

2. lou

lou Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Moose Jaw
    Do you have a barn or somewhere you can keep them for a few days until they get used to their new environment? I have goats and kept them in the barn for a week. Now they don't have any kind of a pen and we are close to a road. They never wander. They are just like little puppy dogs. Just love them. Louanne

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

As far as the fence goes let them get bit a couple times. They will learn fast. I use hot wire with mine. When we first got the goats it took 2 days for them to understand that you do not plow into the fence.

I would if you could fence them off in an area that you know is safe and does not have any toxic plants give them a shelter to get out of the elements.

4. lisamarie

lisamarie Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    thanks for your replies!
    lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by