1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Miniature hens-is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CindyJean, Apr 15, 2007.

1. CindyJean

CindyJean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Has anyone tried breeding for very small chickens? I am just wondering because my Duckwing Bantams are very small and I am thinking of putting the smallest hen and rooster together to see if I can breed down to an even smaller bird.

Firgures ... I already have mini-horses
    If I can scale down the whole farm, maybe I can retire [​IMG]

2. Orpingtonlover

Orpingtonlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    I did the same thing and the babies end up being just a tiny bit bigger then a Bantam sometimes the same size go for it it works!

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I had some really really tiny bantam cochins. I think they had a dwarf gene or something. They had really short legs, too. Some of them also had the very slow or late feathering gene. They were cool.
    chel

4. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

I too have been looking for tiny hens. My 4 year old son bought a truly tiny 7 year old rooster at market about a month ago. Only roughly 7-8 inches tall to the top of his head when he is puffed up looking around. and he weights alittle over a pound. And I have been looking for a hen to go with him ever since. It's not easy to find them, we got "Igy" just by chance. And I have had no luck at finding any more tiny chichens. [​IMG]

5. mr. norm

mr. norm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2007
    CindyJean
    yes, there are miniture chickens,if you log on to mcmurrayhatchery.com,there you'll find bantams in rhode island red,or do as I do and keep breeding your smallest chickens and hatching the smallest eggs they lay.....it takes time

mr.norm
    monroe tennessee

6. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    Sounds like you need to start on Sermas -- Many of the other breeds have put rules in to limit the the downsizing of breeds any further --

7. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Seramas are the smallest breed you can find, but my advice is to shop around before you buy any or get any eggs for them. They were imported into the US by two or three different people several years back, but at least one of them is in it only for the money. (His birds aren't necessarily pure-bred anymore and not of very good quality.) It's best to educate yourself thouroughly on the breed before you purchase anything so you know what to look for. They are still very hard to come by, and there are a lot of scammers out there who will sell you eggs claiming they are Serama, of a certain size, or of a certain line, when in fact, they are not.

Stacey

8. quiltymare

quiltymare Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2007
    Central Washington
    I've got a few Serama hens that fit easily in the palm of my hand. They are so cute! I've also seen some tiny little Dutch bantams and OEG's although by standard, they aren't supposed to be so tiny.

Sounds like you have a cute little guy!

9. henryraven86

henryraven86 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2017
    Hobbs,N.M.
    I have some self blue English gamefowl hatching eggs that my hens are laying on right now i would be willingly to sell some hatching eggs when i get some more? Just pm me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by