Minimal coop and run space

We live in Scottsdale Az. That being said, we have gotten a bit crazy raising chickens. My daughter and I built first, one coop from BYC book, filled it with a flock of 8, then got crazy again, bought 8 more and needed to build again. So we built another coop, attached the run to the first coop...whew! We loose about 1/2 flock each summer from heat and predators. Our chickens must free range to be able to keep cool in summer. Well we then bought 12 chickens, put second flock with first flock all was good til those 12 grew up! They are really big chickens! They are in a space for 5 birds and it is kind of funny watching them go to roost at night sitting on top of each other! Now we have added two roosts inside the coop and one large one under the coop. If they are stuck inside for more than one day they get angry with each other. My point here is watch your girls..ours do ok as long as they don't have to be cooped up too long...summer is coming and we hate loosing girls. This week 100 degrees and they are panting already...I keep burlap damp for cooling runs and the girls love to sit in horse pens. Don't coop too many too close it will affect their laying ability and you may have problems with pecking each other
1f60a.png
1f423.png
1f413.png

Now for a pic of our coops (I hope)

The second pic is second coop which we attached by a short run to first coop. Sorry I couldn't find a pic of both completed that is closer for seeing! We wet that burlap down and our chickens love it.

Back
Top Bottom