minimum acreage

Tumbling K

Crowing
Oct 5, 2015
Texas
what would you consider the minimum acreage required to be completely self sufficient. Or at least as much as possible.

As in grown all your own food, food for livestock. For now, we will still consider store bought clothes, some tools, fuel for tractor or truck to haul, to be allowed.

But other than that, all up to you and your property.

I once read a book called 'Five Acres and Independence'. It's around here now but can't seem to put my hands on it now. But I think that may be the sweet spot. I think your location makes a great deal of difference. I see you're in TX and if you can get sufficient water, you could probably do 4 seasons of cropping.
I actually think it is possible on 2 acres but 5-10 is likely better. For cattle, it is recommended to have an acre of good pasture for each cow calf unit.
You can do goats or cows for milk.
Don't forget about honey bees.
Doing rabbits, squabs, quail, chickens, turkeys, etc.. You may be able to get by with fewer hooved animals.
I'm providing quite a bit on an acre. Annual and perennial veggies, fruits, berries, mushrooms, chickens.

Another thing to consider is sales. If you get more milk, eggs, wool, honey, veggies, fruits than you need, you can sell or trade for things you need.

Fuel is another concern. In the book I read, a woodlot was considered important. Even on just an acre, I have as much wood as I need.

I agree, location is super important, as well as the livestock kept.

South Texas, so four gardens is no problem. have goats, chickens, rabbits, and an occasional pig.

I think my downfall would be fuel tho. At least on my property, it used to be part of a row crop field, that was turned to pasture for cattle, so it's pretty devoid of trees, but there are lots of wooded acreage around the place.

It depends on climate and gardening style. Some people grow all their food on less than an acre.

Small livestock like rabbits, cavies, quail, pigeons are good. Same with fast-growing vegetables.

I would say 3 to 5 acres, depending on the size of your family. We have 1 acre and although we grow almost all our own vegetables and have a semi-free range flock for eggs and meat, we would have to purchase feed if we had any kind of larger livestock such as a cow or goats. Also not enough room to grow the grains for our bread. I think if we had 5 acres we could do it.

I would say 3 to 5 acres, depending on the size of your family. We have 1 acre and although we grow almost all our own vegetables and have a semi-free range flock for eggs and meat, we would have to purchase feed if we had any kind of larger livestock such as a cow or goats. Also not enough room to grow the grains for our bread. I think if we had 5 acres we could do it.
yeah, that is kind of key.

So we have 8 mouths to feed, including us big kids.

we currently have 12 acres, so it sounds very possible.

thanks folks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom