Minimum Cage sizes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blaundee, Jan 8, 2011.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    What are the minimum cage sizes needed for LF Cochins and Orps? How about Australorps and Ameraucanas?

What are the minimum cage sizes needed for bantams?

2. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I don't know, but I have always wondered this myself. What is the minimum cage sizes for certain types of chickens if they have to stay in the cages long-term? I keep my bigger roos in cages in the summer but the cages are big, like 4 ft by 3 ft and they seem fine. Maybe someone who shows or knows about cage sizes will respond.

3. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Just to let everyone know, I'm not planning to stuff a bunch of birds into a bunch of dark, nasty crates and make them live their lives like that... lol I just want to know what the normal minimum sizes are....

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Not sure what you mean by cage??? Are you talking about a pen/coop situation for daily use? For LF, it's generally recommended that 10 sq. ft. of run space is allowed (per bird), and 4 sq. ft. of sheltered space. Or are you talking about cages for showing and such??

5. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    No, I'm not talking about coops and runs, I mean actual cages.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, if they will be living in the cages, then the same sq. footage recommended for pens/coops would apply. If the cages are for transporting/showing, then space enough to turn around easily [​IMG]

7. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:And that leads to this- HOW much space do they need to turn around and stand up, etc?

8. josiemare

josiemare Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Can't answer that! Depends on the size of bird you are trying to "cage"!

What size is your bird?

That is your answer!

9. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Similar to rabbit cage sizes. Depends on the size of the animal. I cannot imagine my Orps in anything less than 36x36 for any length of time.
    Transporting cages can be much smaller of course.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Are you asking about transport cages or cages to live in? What are you trying to figure out? The answer is different, depending on what you are trying to do. Also, it depends on whether you are putting one in a cage or multiples in a cage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by