Minimum Coop Entrance Size for Silkies

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by O.C.Chick, Feb 8, 2009.

1. O.C.Chick

O.C.Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Hello All,

Does anyone have advice regarding the minimum size a door should be so that a silkie could easily enter/exit a coop or a nesting area? Would 8" x 10" be too small? I am designing it so that the entire front panel is on hinges for easy access and cleaning, but I am trying to figure out the smallest dimensions that the actual chicken door can be while still allowing a silkie to comfortably go in and out.

Thanks for any feedback you might have!!!

Alys

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    If they are only Silkies and it is 10 high and 8 wide, I think they could make it fine. Some of mine might find that a squeeze but some of the pullets I have been buying lately are grown and so small they could go right through without a hitch. So it depends on the size of your stock.
    The door on my coop is 12x12 and they clamber through that without a problem.

3. Bacchus

Bacchus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    8"wide and 10"high sounds good. Like Nadine said, it depends on the size of your chickens. I have all regular size chickens, and my very large meat bird goes through a 9"wide and 10.5"high opening just fine. Good luck & have fun!

4. O.C.Chick

O.C.Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Thanks for your help! I think I'll make it 8" w x 12" high just to be on the safe side!

5. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

My coop door is 7w x 9h and that works fine for my heavy breeds. It is that size because the coop door is a missing pane in a historical window from my 1850s house.

Seems to work OK! The gals are big, but they are mostly feathers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by