Minimum fence height - keeping ducks out of trouble

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Giants Wife, Jul 29, 2014.

1. The Giants Wife

The Giants Wife Hatching

Jul 29, 2014
    Hi,

I have ancona ducks that I'd like to keep contained to an area in my yard. I found some knee high fencing on sale and I am 90% sure that this will keep my ducks out of the flowers.

BUT next year we want to experiment with a few other breeds of flightless ducks and maybe even some geese and I'd like them to stay out of the flowers too. Do you think that a 2 foot fence will be enough to keep flightless ducks and geese out?

thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some of that will be up to the ducks. I use three-foot fence to keep our runners and buffs out of garden areas.

3. withat

withat In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    What you need and what your ducks can technically get over are different things. Try your idea see if it works, if they work out they can get to the other side build it a bit higher.

4. Sfraker

Sfraker Songster

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    My Welsh Harlequins can jump and flap up into their 3 foot high pool fairly easily. They prefer that over the nice ramp we built them. [​IMG]

However, my Pekin cannot seem to jump and flap into the pool. (Nor can he figure out the ramp [​IMG]) So I think it will be up to the individual birds and how badly they want what is on the other side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by