Minimum order of chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by eggcited2, Apr 3, 2012.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Besides My Pet Chicken and Meyer Hatchery, are there any others that let you order only a few baby chicks?

Cackle will do as few as five (their city special) but they have to be all of the same breed. I want to be able to mix breeds, but not have to order 15, 25 or more chicks.

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I don't think so. Chickens for Backyards is a wannabe MPC but charges astronomical prices. MPC/Meyer birds are excellent quality and very friendly, and my barred rocks are laying a jumbo egg every other day at 3yrs old. I think they are well worth the shipping price.

3. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    IDEAL let's who you order as few as you want as long as the total is $25.

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I found that with Ideal, unless I wanted to order really expensive chicks, I would have to get 12 standard laying breeds (barred rocks, etc). They also pack your box full of "packing peanuts", excess male chicks. So I guess it depends on what your ultimate goal is for chicks - do you only have space for 3-6, or could you order more? I found MPC to be well worth the money as I knew I was getting the breeds and sexes I wanted.

5. Bev in Nevada

Bev in Nevada Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    California Hatchery (californiahatchery.com) has low ,minimum order numbers

Bantams - 3, Silkie Chickens - 3, Standard Breed Chickens - 3

6. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    California Hatchery doesnt have a phone number and were very vague when I had e mailed them, when they returned my e mails. Not sure if I would deal with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by